Should I take him to see the doctor?

My 25 month old has been teething and had had his usual diarrhea for about 4 days. Yesterday I got him up and he had had a blow out and it wasn't the usual "grainy" teething poopies. Then I started to feel sick and so did my husband. We all have the stomach flu that has been going around. What worries me is that his tummy is swollen and distended. I know his belly hurts b/c of the terrible diarrhea he has been having and the horrible gas he has. He is only eating yogurt and drinking sodas. (we never let him drink soda but hey, at least he is drinking something!)

Should I be worried about his swollen tummy? it has never looked like this before...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like he has a LOT of gas in there - and the sodas probably aren't helping. Stop the sodas and try water (even flavored water) instead. If you're worried, definately better safe than sorry and take him to the doctor. Tums might help.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 3:10 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I don't think so. The gas from the stomach bug and soda is probably causing it. I would really expect that the doctors visit would be a waste of time. He is probably just going to tell you fluids and bland diet and wait it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• ANON here.
    Is it safe to give him tums? I have the same flu he does. I have tried water and he pushes it away. I haven't been giving him juice b/c that will only make it worse. If he will drink soda It's better than nothing from my point of view....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Try the bratty diet, bananas rice aplesauce toast tea and yogurt, also try mylicon or another anti gas medicine. Just make sure he is hydrated, if not get pedialyte or pedia pops something
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Pedylite sorry spelling is awful. or something to that effect. man oh man around my sons first birthday he got really sick and my opinion is cut down on the soda. there are like 3 different kinds of ped. bubble gum, purple stuff and apple. it's bland it should cut down on the gas... and it will have nutrition. really push it too... . try oatmeal. I will bind or loosen stool depending on how they are..
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 3:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• BRING HIM IN RIGHT NOW AND THE SODA COULD BE MAKING THINGS WORST.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• IDK whether you should take him to the doctor or not, but try some flavored water or pedialyte. My kids love flavored water. The soda is probably making him worse and is actually not a very good hydrating liquid anyway
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• thank you ladys for the advice. I have tried the pedialite and he pushed it away. I did finally get him to eat some chicken noddle soup. He also drank a yogurt smoothie. Tried the pedialite again and it was a failure. I'm gonna wait until he says he is thirsty and try to give it to him again. His belly isn't as swollen quite as much and he is even more honery. And it turns out that I have the same thing now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• If the smoothies work, keep those up. Definately keep the soda out of the equation. And I don't know if tums are "officially" safe, but I've given one to my 2 year old. Try a half-tablet.
    I just looked, they have "tums kids" for children 2-11, so they should be safe. They're the same thing as the adult tums, just different flavors and packaging. =) Actually, the dosage is HIGHER on the kids tums, go figure, so the regular tums are just fine.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 12:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2010