Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I looked at my credit report, and i am furious!!!! (adult content)

I was checking my credit report, and now there is something on there from the apartment complex we used to live in, that says as of May 09, we owe them over $1000. We moved out in November! How in the heck do we owe them that as of May! Not only that, they told us we wouldnt get our deposit back, but that would make our account at a $zero$ balance! How in the heck can they do that! I disputed it, but like thats going to do a lot of good! WTF!! I am so pissed off right now!!! What can I do!!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (6)
  • Also to add, it says my credit card balance is over $500, when I was making payments, and it was down to $200. And what does charged off mean??


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • It depends on what lines you are looking at. If you are looking at Maximum balance that means the highest that the credit amount had been throughout the time you have had that account open.
    Charge off means that it has went to a debt collector. Debt collecting agencies are evil, pure evil. They buy debts and then pursue the debtor adding fees, etc. They have I think 5 years to try and receive payment if not, it again can be sold to another. The bad thing about this is even though a normal bill has 7 years that it will stay on your credit report; debt agencies can prolong that period and can go on with that account as long as they like. Say you had a bad debt in 98 and it went to a collection agency. They try and harrass you but fail and sell it for pennies. Do this every 5 years and you have a long road of miserable credit.

    Answer by wolfmomma30 at 3:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • Sorry this is so long.
    My advice to you would be to go to a credit counselor and have them sit down and explain which each bill is. Most of the time you can do this at your local bank for free or low cost.
    If you would like to stir up the pot so to speak and want to eliminate some that you know just don't add up. Here is a simple step. On the last page of your report it will have the phone numbers to every account. Call the creditor in question and ask them to send you proof of validity. Every creditor has to have some kind of proof that they account truly exists and must send you it upon your request. Those that cannot do so within 30 days of your request have to be taken off of the credit report whether they are true or not. I will warn you, some will get nasty; but they will now know that you know what most people dont and you mean business.
    Good luck!

    Answer by wolfmomma30 at 3:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • wolfmama~ It says Recent Balance: $1,032 and High Balance: N/A. And this is the address: 3750 NATURALLY FRESH BLVD
    ATLANTA, GA 30349. That sounds weird to me, but it doesn't offer a phone number. It also says date opened 1/2009. Which makes no sence because we moved out 11/2008. It also says Collection as of Mar 2009. Don't they have to notify me before they send it to collections? Who do I call if they don't have a phone number? The apt complex that is saying I owe them this crap?

    I know what the other things on the report are, and the only reason I lookede at it is becuase I am paying everything off with my tax return

    Thank you


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • Yeah something is not stirring the koolaide in that picture. When you moved I assumed that you went to the post office and had your address switched. If you didn't that would be the case of them not being able to contact you. If you did switch your address then yes they are legal bound to tell you when something goes to the collection agency.
    In any case I would check in your old leasing agreement and look in the ending of lease paragraphs. These companies shell out money for someone to write these silly long winded things but sometimes leave loopholes.
    If all else fails call your local directory and ask for a reversal. You give the address and they will give you the phone number, then contact them and have them send you a bill. Be stern with them because I garauntee that they will be stern first and demand a payment that day. Stand your ground and you can win.
    Good luck :)

    Answer by wolfmomma30 at 5:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • It is adult content because of the language or curse words.

    Answer by wolfmomma30 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.