hitting with objects as a form of discipline

I know this may cause a heated discussion but I just have to know...who thinks it's ok to hit children or teenagers with objects as a form of discipline such as a paddle or a belt...etc? It just doesn't seem ok to me. I hate hearing parents talk about using this form of discipline so casually like it's no big deal. I think it's degrading and humiliating for children and teaches them nothing positive and I don't think causing physical pain on purpose to your own child is ok. I think it's a form of abuse that is severely overlooked!

Court128

Asked by Court128 at 3:41 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with you, it is not ok, an object can cause more damage than you might understand and doing so is cruel.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It is NEVER ok to hit your child with any object. I believe sometimes spanking is called for if nothing else works but never never NEVER is it ok to use anything other than your hand. That takes it from spanking to beating. I was never "hit" as a child - I probably had my hand smacked and that was it. My DH on the other hand had a mother who would get angrier and angrier then would hit my DH or his brother with ANYTHING she could find - broom handles, broken fly swatters, wooden spoons - whatever she could get her hands on in her fit of rage.

I'm sitting here with my 18 month old son who decided he wanted to wake up when mommy came home from work at 4am....I can't ever imagine hurting him like that. Sure parents get angry but hitting out of anger is just bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I could never hit with a belt or anything. I remember what my mom did to me. She would beat me with teh belt then beat me longer for crying then I would pass out from crying so hard then she would beat me harder to wake me up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Good lord! That's terrible! WTF was her problem????
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• To each their own. That is your opinion. Every one has their own way of disciplining their kids.

Answer by louise2 at 7:44 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• to louise2, actually all the states now have laws stating that hitting your kids w/ an object is child abuse. Not an individual opinion any more & did you know that even if you hit them in your own home they can press child abuse charges against you. Did you hear about the teen mom star Farrah who got slapped by her mom? Mom was arrested & if anybody needs to be slapped its that spoiled brat. Now to answer the ? I got hit by objects growing up & while I plan to spank I don't intend to use instruments. I think spanking is for attention getting not to inflict pain. You shouldn't spank a child out of anger (I know easier said then done & I'm not gonna pretend to be perfect, everybody gets mad) & should explain to your child why they got spanked. I think w/ more talk & less whack the kid has a better understanding of what they did, just cuz you get hit doesn't mean you know what you did wrong.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I know that you can not leave marks on your child. About not using object is a different thing. States might have changed the rules/laws.

Answer by louise2 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• it is legal in my state as long as you dont bruise or welt. i will never purposely hit my child with an object. it just seems way different then a spanking (which is rare like maybe maybe one time a month) you cant feel how hard you hit when you dont use your hand. i really only spank for things he knows are wrong, Really wrong. when all else fails. or things he could die from. all kids are different. some are stronger willed. but i think really using what they value against them (like you lose video games/ play time with friends) is so much more powerful than spanking.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:39 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Hitting is NOT discipline. It's PUNISHMENT. There is a big difference. Discipline uses an acceptable and relevant method AND teaches a lesson. Punishment is just that. It teaches that hitting is acceptable. It teaches anger. They repress their anger until they can take it out on someone else smaller than them (bully mentality). Then the cycle continues.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:10 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Keep on hitting your kids, then they will hit their kids and so on... the abusive cycle never ends! Whether it's hitting with a hand or an object, it's abuse! Ppl who think different are just in denial. How on earth does hitting teach anything? Would you want your boss to hit you at work for doing something wrong? It's should be okay though, as long as they don't leave a mark! *eyes roll*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2010