10 1/2 months feeding questions

Hello!
I have a 10 1/2 month old baby boy. He is amazing! <3 anyway, he will not eat baby food anymore.. and wont let me feed him, if I try to feed him off a spoon he smacks it out of my hand.. he wants to feed himself. SO I need some ideas on what this I can safely give him so that he can be the big boy he wants to be? Also, when can I start giving him whole milk vs formula?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• whole milk's @ 1yr. I make oatmeal for my dd, 8 mo & sprinkle in bits of fruit she can work on chewing. I also make her rice & will make a big sticky mess on her tray & let her go @ it, if it gets too runny I use the Multi Grain baby cereal to stiffen it back up. This works w/ pretty much anything, done it w/ carrots, grean beans, apples, squash etc. Bannanas are a good one & my dd LOVES grahm crackers. Pick some clothes that are already stained & change him into them before each meal, its amazing to me how things stain!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:53 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Read this.  Table food is fine!     http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My kids were on table food by 8 months - just cut it up and put it in front of him so he can feed himself!

Answer by missanc at 8:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Baby food is gross. Self-feeding is an important part of learning.

Great information here: www.superbabyfood.com and here: www.babyledweaning.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

• There are these pacifier looking strainers in the baby section of most stores. It's got a big round handle and a soft mesh pouch that the baby sucks on. You open it and put food like fruit of cooked veggies in it and then let baby suck on it. The soft mesh doesn't allow big chockable bits through. You can put other things in there as well....lol, my son used to love chex cereal in his.

Here is a link to one version of the feeder: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2738035
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My second daughter was "off" purees (though we mad our own) by 7-8 months, wanted to eat what we were having. We reintroduced pureed vegetables just recently (16 months) because she was starting to refuse the soft-cooked veggies she had been eating all along, but will gobble those up now that she can spoon feed herself. Just go with it. There are plenty of finger foods you can give that are safe. (I won't repeat any of the links above, just wanted to chime in that we had this, too, and you don't need to throw away the kids spoons yet since he may return to them later!)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• We never did purees with either boy. My 10.5 mo old eats everything we eat. His favorite so far is cantelope, he he likes basically all fruits and veggies... meats, too and he loves bread, noodles and crackers.

Just make sure it's soft enough.. .. no rare red meat, no raw veggies, no major allergens.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2010