my dd's weight

we went to a dietician and they said what my daughter should and shouldnt eat...i have been doing it for about 6months and all has been going well.all of a sudden she is gaining hefty weight in her middle.in her stomach and around her hips.its kind of odd looking.i was glad she seemed to be growing taller and slimming up. but it seemed to have stopped ..i put her in karate for self esteem and weight issues.any one got any ideas???

cleo1977

Asked by cleo1977 at 8:12 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I hate to pry but is there something wrong with her that required a dietician? How old is she?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• the school wrote me this note saying she was over weight and i needed to control her weight more.well i thought i was doing everything right.sence my dh cousin has her doctorit in nutrition and we were talking about it one day to her she said come over to her house and she would think aboutit.well the only reall thing she said was take her off of school lunches..watch her afterschool snacks.she is not obese by any means but we thought that the dietician is there might as well here what she had to say...she is 10....
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i should say obesity runs in the family my dd is very overweight...and i am afraid if i dont control this she is going to follow the same pattern.i can see it with my other dd it started in her stomach and then just kind of blossomed to other parts of her body...
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• it is good to work on it now. remember that people come in all sizes. life can be very hard for an overweight child...gymclass alone can be a nightmare! getting her off school lunches is a wonderful choice! teaching good habits for life is the best thing you can do, and do it for everyone in the whole house, not just your dd! drink plenty of water, i would save juice for special occasions (all the sugar and none of the fiber) i would try the eat a rainbow a day idea...should be fun for a young girl! try to limit snacks to fruits and vegetables if you can. i would consider cutting dairy way back...if she likes her green food!
    good luck and congrats for getting a handle on this now! how is your dd dealing with it?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It sounds like she is going through puberty.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Hmmm. The excess weight on her belly and thighs worries me a bit. Get her on a good diet and routine and hopefully that will help!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• a healthy diet, with exercise of some kind will do wonders

what are they saying she should and shouldn't eat?

I'd check out eating clean - its based on healthy foods and eating lifestyles.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:15 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• growth spurt? Mine's only 2, but she always fattens up in the midsection before she gets taller. My aunt says my cousin was the same way through all of her growth spurts.
    Anonymous

• also, has she started her period? Weight gain in the hips like that could also be her body developing.
    Anonymous

• do not take the schools seriously. Let me share in 8th grade I got a note from the school nurse stating my 14 yo daughter was overweight. She was 5'2" and 124 pounds and that we should seriously watch what she ate. She was a size 2. Next year after she joined a local soccer team the same nurse sent me a note home telling me she believed my daughter had an eating disorder cause she was still 5'2" but lost weight and was now a size 0 and weighted 112 pounds. She also became a vegetarian and was way more active. I agree if she's getting a growth spurt she may be saving some excess weight to fuel it. My kids got a tad pudgie right before.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2010