How often should my 5.5 month be nursing?

My son is still wanting to nurse every 2 hours, and I even started him on solid food (Should I nurse him then offer solids right after, or wait an hour or so?). So many of my friends are telling me to follow babywise. I am a little nervous after reading the reviews of the theory. Any advice is welcomed at this point. thanks!

LittleJo804

Asked by LittleJo804 at 8:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd's 9 mo & she's bf, no formula & was like that about that age. He's probably doing thru a growth spurt & needs the extra calories. I nurse & then give solids. how much solids is he eating & what kind? @ that age I was giving mine cereals & getting ready to start w/ the yellow foods. Mine has no off switch, she'll eat till she pukes so when her tummy gets tight I tell her she's done. If you aren't comfortable w/ babywise then don't use it, frankly I (MY OPINION) think its crap. Babies let you know what they need & if you work around their schedule instead of insist on overscheduling them from the beginning they figure it out. Attachment Parenting is more my style, may wanna check it out, keep looking till you find a parenting style that reflects your beliefs, what works for one won't for another.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Had I read the reviews I probably would have been a little wary as well. However, it was given to me 12 years ago by my MIL so I read it - and it makes sense to me. I have followed it with all 4 of my kids, and will with my 5th also. They all slept through the night by 2 months (and by that I mean more than 8 hours) and are happy, healthy, thriving, well adjusted kids (12, 10, 8 and 14 months). Having a predictable schedule for them makes me a much happier, calmer person and it's easier to adjust the things I need to do around their schedule when they have one in place.

Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It's a growth spurt. He's nursing a lot to build up supply so that he can outgrow your favorite outfits overnight. Feed him on demand. And let him nurse as long as he wants on one side to ensure he gets the fatty hind milk (though when babies nurse often the milk is more uniform anyway). Always nurse first then offer solids to play with. Food before one is just for fun NOT nutrition. Check this out: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html       Cereal is empty calories and is constipating and tastes awful.  Skip it.

Babywise is dangerous.   It causes failure to thrive.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:39 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• NO BABYWISE. When my second daughter was 5.5 month old she nursed about every hour during the day -- sometimes she'd be hungry a half hour after a nursing session. There are lots of reasons your baby needs to eat on demand -- different babies nurse differently, different moms produce different amounts of milk at a time... There is not one schedule that works for all mom/baby combinations, and trying to fit yours to this is, as others have said, withholding nutrition from your child... not something you want to mess around with, and surely not your intention. My friend who recently had her second baby asked me, "how long is it until they're not nursing more than every 3 or 4 hours again? I forget." I laughed because my 16 month old who just weaned never even got to that point until she was actively weaning. She was every 2 hours still at her first birthday. All nursing mom/baby combos are different.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• One more thing about Babywise -- just because it worked fine for one mom's kids doesn't mean it will for yours. I don't make much milk at a time and my baby would have been a mess on that kind of schedule. Nursing on demand is always safest and healthiest.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would talk to your pediatrician. In most cases, there is no reason for an almost 6 month old to need to be feeding every 2 hours or less for more than a couple days (to cover a growth spurt). Even in the hospitals when they are newborns, they have them on a 3 hour feeding schedule for bfed and 4 hours for formula fed.
    And most of my friends and family members have used the Babywise method.

Answer by missanc at 11:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• What? My hospital sure didn't recommend pushing my newborn to wait 3 hours between feedings. They did tell me in the early days to WAKE them to feed if it's been 3 hours... but I talked to my doc at my 6 month visit and she confirmed that my daughter, who was not very high in the percentiles, needed to be fed when she was hungry, even though she was eating tons of solids... If you feel nursing is a pain in your butt, then switch to formula, otherwise I would say nurse the baby every 2 hours or whenever he's hungry.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My first nursed every 1-2 hours for 9 or 10 months. His brother did every 3 from birth. Both are 100% normal. Trying to stretch out feedings when baby NEEDS to nurse that frequently can be harmful to your baby and your milk supply.

My first has a really high metabolism and still eats pretty frequently. He really needed milk that often as a baby.

It's actually better for mom and baby for them to nurse more frequently... it prevents spitting up, gas, clogged ducts and mastitis. In cultures where babies are worn all day, baby will nurse about every 20-30 minutes.

You can do yourself a favor and stop watching the clock. Stop waiting for him to start going longer and you won't mind as much, I promise. Solids don't make any difference, and shouldn't make any difference because they shouldn't be replacing milk in his diet (solids right after nursing, always). When he is ready, he will start stretching out feedings.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Wow! Thank you everyone! I really don't mind nursing him every 2 hours, but he won't take the bottle very well, and pumping is leaving me in so much pain I can't wear a bra afterwards for a few hours...and it takes about a week to heal. My husband would like to go on a date, so we thought if we could stretch out his feeding to 3 hours, it may give us some "romance time" ;-)
    LittleJo804

Answer by LittleJo804 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• That makes sense... A three hour window for romance sounds good to me, too (I have a 16 month old and a 2.5 year old)... Maybe try a dinner place close by, leave right after nursing, and plan for a feeding of solids while you're gone? You can have a comfortable sit-down dinner for a couple of hours and chances are baby will not give her caretaker too much trouble... around, you, she's more likely to think of nursing. If you're doing it once and it's a little longer than she usually goes, it's not a big deal. Maybe get dessert to go (or plan to make your own), and then after you put her down to bed with a nice nursing session, take advantage of the first night stretch for some dessert, a glass of wine, and whatever else!!!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2010