Does the book "The Care and Keeping of You" tell girls everything they need to know about puberty?

Will the book have detailed stuff about puberty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I bought the book for my daughter. I readi it before I gave it to her. It doesn't cover sex, but it does cover basic hygiene and stuff like that (very appropriate for a tween girl). I'd say the book is a good starting point, but buying it for your daughter is definitely not going to be the end of your responsibility.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Why not have conversations with your daughter? My mom gave me a book, was never open for questions, and really ruined our relationship.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My daughter is nine and she has the book. She enjoyed reading it and of course we've talked about the things in it. I do have a friend who has this forher daughter also nine but hasn't given it to her yet because they do illustrate how to insert a tampon and she doesn't want her daughter to know that yet, I guess. ut my daughter already has signs of puberty. Very early, but still there and I dont' want her think she's bleeding to death if she starts her period. We talk about everything in there and she already knows how babies are made from when I was pregnant three years ago. She doesn't have the gritty details of sex yet but she knows about sperm and eggs, ust not how the sperm gets to the eggs. lol. I'm waiting for that one to come up because I don't want to give more details than she's ready for.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 9:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I think it's a good start but doesn't go much into detail. I would simply have a conversation with her. I've been talking to my daughter about sex and puberty since she was 8.
    Anonymous

• If you want a detailed book look at "Girlstuff" by Margaret Blackstone. Very detailed and to the point, but very educational. I bought it for my 12 yr old sd. Not for the prudish though, must be open minded.
    Anonymous

• Anyone know a good book like this for boys? My son has started asking me questions (he's not comfortable with his dad), which I've answered but am looking for a book about feelings, etc so that I know how he's feeling, what he's thinking, etc. He just turned 10, and I want to launch into a more detailed explanation with him but don't really know what to tell him about the changes that are going to be taking place in his body and when they might happen (I asked my husband some of this, but he claims he never had a "wet dream"(nocturnal emission) and I know that common in boys. Probably TMI, just a book anyone?

Answer by missanc at 1:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• I got that book and gave it to my 9 year old. She has read it, and yeah, just the page about inserting a tampon made her uncomfortable. However, she came to me and asked if she had to do that. Of course, no, she doesn't, and she's fine now and will just skip that page. I like how the book covers puberty, but doesn't discuss sex. That's my job. Of course, I will get a book for that also, but we're just going to deal with one milestone at a time. She'll get the sex talk when her period actually comes.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2010