How do I keep my son from drenching his bed every night?

My son is 17 mths old and I don't give him liquids after 6 pm and I make sure he is dry before I put him to bed around 9. I even have pampers over-night diapers and he still wakes up completely soaked most mornings. I don't know what to do anymore...I feel badly for him and having to wash all his bedding everyday is getting pretty old. I just transitioned him into a toddler bed...with his crib I just put down blankets not sheets so he would mostly end up getting the urine on his mattress not his sheets and I could just wipe it off. But of course he needs his bedding on his bed.

elaine23

Asked by elaine23 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get him up and change him when you go to bed is all I can think of.

Answer by Bmat at 9:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I don't know what to do about the wetness, but I have several thin waterproof pads that were given to me - they are the size of my son's entire crib so would probably fit a toddler bed as well. You could probably find them at a baby store? If you put one of those down then you at least wouldn't have to wash the sheets everyday, just remove the pad.

Answer by missanc at 9:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You may have to find the "overnights" diapers for just an occasion. My son needed them. They're expensive, but you only need them at bed time. Also, get an old shower curtain and put it under the sheet. You may still have to wash the bedding every day, but at least you'll save the mattress.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 9:49 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would tell the doctor on your next visit or give them a call and tell them what is going on just so they know also. They would be more help then anyone since they know your child medical history not saying there is something wrong its very common in young children of that age to do this my son at that age also did that but my other son didn't? You can go to Wal Mart and get a plastic cover that goes over the mattress so the mattress dont get ruined, its a help but not to the washing of the sheets and blankets every day. He should out grow it sooner or latter. Something that did help him was giving him a stuffed animal or a special blanket to sleep with every night so he felt more Sucre in his bed. My son know is 7 and dont sleep with anything. Hope this helped..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• my DD was doing this and i put her in the next size diaper for bedtime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Have you tried the Huggies overnight diapers? I found the pampers ones leaked more with my son. I also found it helpful to go a whole size up and like you said, limit drinking before bed. If he still leaks, they make things kind of like pads and you stick them in the diaper to absorb even more... I've seen them at Babies R Us in the diaper section.
    You might want to but incontinence pads used for elderly adults... you could probably find them at a medical supply store that sells things like walkers and stuff like that.... then you could lay one of those under him rather than changing the full set of sheets every night.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• We used two cloth diapers at night...

Answer by rkoloms at 10:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I also suggest trying the Huggies overnights. They are the only ones that worked for my daughter. The Pampers overnights just didn't cut it. I used the next size up for extra protection. Never had a single leak overnight after that.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 10:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My kids did this at night. We put them in the next size up diaper overnight. We tried the Pampers overnight diapers and they didn't work at all. We do use the Huggies overnight diapers now and they work great.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Take him to the doctor and see if he has a bladder problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2010