AHDD

I have been raking my brain for the last few weeks.. My son's school nurse called and was saying that the one teacher is have trouble with my son with him moving in his seat.. The nurse asked me if my son was still on him meds.. I told her why, is that so important. She told me that my son is one child that would do better with the meds.. I wanted to say something but didn't.. My son has been off his meds since Nov 2009. He was on it since he was in 1st grade.. He is 13 now.. Well he has no insurance and i can't afford it on my own.. His step father and I agreed that we didn't want him on it. My son told me he didn't want to take it any more either that it was making him feel weird.. But his dad wants him on it.. So my question is what should I do.. Should I put it on him to calm the school and his dad.. Or should I try and listen to him at what it's doing to him body.. Help me any one who has or nows someone with ADHD.. Thank

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I can't help you personally as my experience is limited to researching / writing articles on the matter, but you'd probably get quick and active responses from one of the ADHD groups on Cafe Mom.
    The biggest group has about 12,000 members, and there is even a group about managing ADHD naturally / no meds.
    littlehero

Answer by littlehero at 9:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i agree w/ liitlehero! good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• well have you ever tried a chiropractor.. i have a few pts that come in with adhd and they do well. your child might have to go atleast 3x timnes a week for a while and then itll drop down.. its worth a shot,, ny brother was on med and all they do is constaly change meds and now hes even on sleeping medicine. I fault my mother bc she doesnt have the time to take him to a chiro. if you try let me know the outcome
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 10:10 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help

Answer by rkoloms at 10:44 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would say that the true test will be whether his school work is affected. If you begin to see dramatic changes in his grades, the meds may have been beneficial to him. If there is no significant change in his work, and no major behavioral issues, then I really don't understand why his teacher seems so concerned. Moving around in the seat doesn't seem like it should be cause to alert the school nurse IMO. Sounds like he is old enough to have some say about whether he wants to take the med. I've worked with children with ADD/ADHD for many years and I've witnessed some severe cases. If your son is able to function and thrive w/o the med, then there shouldn't be a problem with discontinuing the med. I would consult w/ his Dr. though, just to get a prof. opinion.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• So, let me see if I understand this: a child moving around in his chair is a problem for a teacher, so he should be medicated with psychoactive drugs... that were developed as an addict-replacement for cocaine (but didn't work because it turns out the high is as good and they are just as addictive)... so the teacher won't...

So the teacher won't what? Need therapy for being hypersensitive? Or get treatment for being overly controlling? Or have to deal with real people instead of drug-addled robots?

I still can't work out why it is considered preferrable to have a child sit completely still for 5 hours a day. Don't we have a problem here with sedentary lifestyles and obesity?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• As another poster stated his school work should tell you how well he he doing at school. If his school work hasn't changed, being that he is still doing what he is capable of then I would suggest therapy and having a sit down meeting with the teacher.

If the child needs the medicine there are programs to help you with that. All companies that make these meds have a toll free number that you can call and they will walk you thru the process with them. If you are in the income guidelines there is NO charge for the meds,they will send them straight to your son doctor.

I do have a 14 year old son on Vyvnase 30 mg for ADHD. He is a great kid but he honestly needs the meds in order to focus in school. Some children simply need the meds but not all do. It is really a personal decision you have to make. Feel free to email me if you need to chat. Good luck!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 7:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• A chiropractor for a child with ADHD? They don't need their back cracked. ugh. whatever
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

• well to the anonymous person you need to do some research. the problem has been studied and i have seen first hand the help its makes.. and its not your back popped. That is not all a chiro does. reasearch before you BASH> ) its a natural way to get the spine back in aligment which does cause some time for a person to have abnormal brain waves.. THIS IS HOW CHIROPRACTIC.. BEST WAY IS FIRST TO EDUCATE THE PARENTS AND CHILD ABOUT THEIR CONDITIONS... THEY TREAT THE UNDERLYING CONDITION THAT IS CAUSING THE ADHD. SUBLUXATIONS ARE MISALIGNMENT THAT CAUSE NEUROLOGICAL DSYFUNCTIONS. MEANING THIS IS WHY AND HOW A CHIROPRACTOR CAN HELP. CHIRO CAN PAY SPEICAL ATTENTION TO UPPER CERVICAL REGIONS UNLIKE MEDICATIONS.. AND ALL THE ADJUSTMENTS WILL HELP THE CHILDREN GROW TO BE ALOT HAPPIER. So there is my research.
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 5:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2010