Would you take your child back to the doctor?

On Thursday night, my 3 year old daughter started running a fever (staying between 101 and 102) and coughed a lot during the night. I gave her Tylenol (she has a Motrin allergy so it's out of the question) before bed. She got up with a fever of 103 Friday morning, I called and talked to a nurse (sometimes they won't see your child until they've had a fever for 3 days straight) and took her in Friday morning. After checking everything from her ears and throat to her urine, doing a CBC as well, I was sent home and told she had a virus. Fast forward to today, still fever (102 at the moment and that's WITH Tylenol) and horrible cough, nothing has changed at all over the weekend. My thought is that if she had a cold she wouldn't still be running a fever. We have had very little sleep since Thursday night because she's so achy...and of course coughing like crazy. Would you take your child back to the doctor today?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Having a virus doesn't always mean it's a cold, they can last longer than 3 days. I would call the dr and talk to the nurse, just to keep them in the loop that she isn't getting any better and see what they recommend.

Answer by missanc at 9:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would. I tended to go by the theory that if I were worried that I needed to have the child checked.

Answer by Bmat at 9:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Thanks ladies. Ha, I felt the need to come here and ask because the only answer I ever get from hubs is "i don't know". I'm so tired right now I can barely think straight, so just having someone else's opinion is nice. I'm calling the nurse now. Thanks again ~OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• tylenol can inhibit the immune system. personally, i would stop the tylenol and see how her body does on its own. be sure she is resting and getting fluids. try your best to keep her comfortable.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My 6 year old had a fever of 102 for almost a week straight. I took him to the doctor and was told that there was no sign of infection and to let his body fight the virus. And call back if his fever got highger than 103 or was still around a week later or there was a change in his behavior.
    my2boysandgirl

Answer by my2boysandgirl at 10:15 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would take her to the ER. Sometimes doctors don't take you seriously.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• OP here: That was another one of my issues... is giving her tylenol, just wasn't really enough room in the question thing to mention it. But yeah, part of me worries that I'm just prolonging her fever by giving it to her especially since her fever has not "broken" one time throughout this whole thing. I know using it for too long can be bad for her liver as well. I just feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. My FIL is a doc, but also a very old school doc (he's 76). He has never treated children except for his own. First thing out of his mouth was to give her Asprin if nothing else worked. I laughed at him told him no way and politely got off the phone. The nurse just called me back and said to bring her back in since her cough sounds so tight. Anyway, thanks again ladies.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• OP here again: With all due respect, I'm not taking her to the ER to clog the Emergency Department with NON emergency issues and risk exposing her to more sickness. I appreciate the advice, but even in my sleep deprived mind, that is not necessary.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• If the CDC points to a viral infection, then it's just going to have to run it's course. Sounds like she is the same, not worse than she was on Thrusday/Friday. IF that is the case, I'd wait it out and try some motrin as it is more effective against higher temperatures. My concern is usually how the cough sounds. Just read your last post that you are taking her in due to the cough. With my daughter, it's always the cough that signals if we go back. Usually I can tell when it changes and that she's wheezing now. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• To me, this screams CROUP....ugh that is not fun and they do fever for a few days and cough and wheeze and sound horrible....lots of fluids, let the fever ride out and steamed bathroom should help, With my son when he had this, the gave him a steroid liquid to help him breath an then an antibiotic for the stridor. It no fun for anyone, my son turned into a cling monster and would barely let me leave him to go potty or get something to eat...it was not any fun at all!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2010