How did you get your 16-month-old toddler to sit on the couch and not jump and roll on it constantly???

I'm trying to teach him to just sit on the couch. However, he would rather have fun and roll around. Any ideas on what I can do?? What techniques did you use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dd is 2, and we're still trying to teach her. Mostly because our couch is falling apart and has a huge hole so you can see springs. We don't want her getting hurt! After she got stuck and fell through a couple times though, she quit jumping on it and now she uses the arm rests for a slide.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• LOL - I just let mine get a little older...bouncing on the couch loses its appeal by the time they're 13 or so....lol. Sorry, I'm not much help. :-)
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Yip. As soon as he jumps or rolls, put him on the floor. Tell him couches are for sitting only. If he cannot use it properly , he cannot sit on it. Wait a bit before letting him try again. Just keep putting him back on the floor if he doesn't sit correctly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It's possible to teach a 16 month old to sit on the couch? That's awesome! :-)
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• lol.

mine are 8, 6 and 3 and still don't sit still.

ok the 8 year old does but my other two won't
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I'm with the pp - if he isn't sitting correctly, you put him down. When he's ready to try again, let him but only if he sits. If he starts to jump, put him back on the floor.

Answer by missanc at 10:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• GoodMomma24-7 LOL - I just let mine get a little older...bouncing on the couch loses its appeal by the time they're 13 or so....lol. Sorry, I'm not much help. :-)

Now that's funny, but true. I have two boys and they are just more rambunctious than my daughter.

Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 11:31 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• so far we have 3 boys 6, 4 and nearly 2...we are hoping the sofa will last 5 more years!
    we are constantly reminding the boys that the sofa is for sitting! my dd is very obedient, though!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Are you afraid that your child will get hurt? I understand that teaching your child to sit 'nice' on the couch is part of manners. BUT, what I would do is remind him that he could get hurt and if he gets hurts, well, that's a natural consequence to his behavior.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• duct tape?
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 12:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2010