Confused about sippy cups!

I'm trying to introduce a sippy cup to my 8 month old. I have 2 different cups - one that just pours out if you hold it upside down (advent brand) and another that you have to kind of suck and bite down on the mouthpiece at the same time to make anything come out....I'm confused about the way a sippy is supposed to work - can someone enlighten me?? :)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A trainer cup generally is the kind they will suck out. A hard top cup that pours is really just to prevent spills in older children, transitioning from sippy to regular cup.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 11:23 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It's whichever one you choose to use. I always found it easier as far as no spills to go with the kind where they have to bite and suck and then later switch to just the pour spout when they get a little older.

Answer by missanc at 11:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• A good one to try is the sippy with the gel top. It is soft like a bottle and easy to transition them on. And actually they reccomend not using the type that you have to bite down on because it is bad for their teeth... I would try a straw cup too. My youngest took right to it with no problems what so ever... I was shocked.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:25 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I don't know about any that you have to actually bite down on... but I do know that no two sippies are alike and that kids who totally reject one kind can do great with another. taking one mom's advice won't necessarily help you, either, because all kids have their different preferences. I can tell you that both my daughters did best with the kind that have straws (with valves so they don't spill)... we used the munchkin brand. But that's just my girls, and that was with a lot of trial and error.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I too had the best of luck with a straw cup- a lot of them have no spill valves, and have a rubber tip to prevent misadventures with baby's delicate gums. I also had good luck with the Avent Slim Spout sippy cups, it has a very, very slender spout (and an internal valve to prevent leaks) and was the most comfortable for their teenie mouths. it also disassembles in such a way that NOTHING can get trapped in the valve when you wash it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2010