pagans, wiccans, and more

Would you tell me what your religion teaches as to how the earth and people came to be. I am interested and this is a real question. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do believe evolution and creation do not conflict with one another. I essesially believe we are two beings. One is our spirutal essence (Spirit) the other is our animal bodies. Our spirits helped to evolve the animals into what we are today. So , both theories are correct.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• There isn't one answer to that., a lot of it will depend on the Pagan you ask. Most will agree with the scientific thinking that we all evolved but will also hold dear the myths of their chosen path.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• As Pagan Mom said, there isn't any clear cut one answer to that question. Because Pagan is such a broad term there are many creation myths - to many to name here.

As we evolved each culture had their own creation story, obviously the most widely known is the Israelite Creation Story which includes Adam & Eve. But you can find a list of other lesser known versions HERE.

Generally my path "teaches" Creator Guided Evolution, which states that while there are Creators (Gods, Goddesses & other Powers) ruling over the process it was, and is, evolution that has created all things we now see and know. Nature and Evolution have formed the world as we know it and are continuing to do so, with the ever present guidance of the Gods & other Universal powers.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• What Sabrina said!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

•  Fortunately as a Pagan I am free define my religion as I see fit. So, my religion doesn't really "teach" evolution vs creation - it's just not that simple.  I personally go with the science behind Evolution - it just makes more sense to me. I am still undecided as to if the Energies that are the Great Spirit, Gods and Goddesses "helped" with that process or not. There are many great creations myths, and maybe somewhere there is a bit of truth berried in each of them.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Well, the others pretty much summed it up nicely.

I believe in much the same thing that Sabrina believes in when it comes to creation. ...Divine Evolution.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I am a Druid and we do not have a defined mythos when it comes to creation or anything. We do not consider what god/gods you worship to be important. You can believe in whatever you want as long as you follow the code of ethics and guidelines of being a Druid. It is a lifestyle more than an actual religion.

I, personally, believe in evolution. I do not believe in any Gods.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 2:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Personally, I believe there is a higher power that sort of mixed stuff together to get it going and then evolution went from there.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I generally accept the scientists and what they have discovered as to the possible origins of the Earth and Her people. 

However...

If I WERE to believe any "creation myth"...it'd be this one: 

Polytheist Creation Story 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• The Mayans have a myth of man being created by God out of mud, but he washed away in the rain. Then out of wood, but he burned. So God grew corn and made a man from the corn. And that is the man that lasted bc he was full of the goodness of all life. Corn meant a lot to the culture. Some people follow this "pagan" faith today.

Beautiful book called "World of Myth" -- has creation myths of nearly every polytheistic religion we have recorded history of. Some "pagans" follow these ancient mythologies.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010