Are your LO's picky eaters? I swear, mine could LIVE on pb or pbj for the rest of their lives if I allowed them to!

Thank goodness they like whole grain bread!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a zero tolerance policy for pickiness. It took me nearly three years to cure my spouse; twice that to forgive him mom.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually they will get eaten.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• at least twice a month, more when I have the extra time/money I let my kids grocery shop. I will sometimes drive across town to a store that has the little kid sized carts, and a few times I let them bring their own little plastic stroller or cart.

I have them pick something in every color or from every section/aisle.

sanity permitting, they help prepare at least some of it.

they put 99% of it up on the checkout stand and hand the checker the money/debit card and carry a small bag out to the car.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• also muffin tins RULE. instead of a plate, put a muffin tin in front of your kiddo... fill the cups with different things.

my daughter is 3 years 7mos and her fave are: blueberries, cheese cubes, mini pepperoni, croutons, petite baby carrots and ranch dip. mix/match always.

consider breakfast for dinner more often too.... and more "bar" stuff. salad bar, build your own pizza bar, baked potato bar, etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My Family eats anything & everything.  There is never any waste in our house because if we ant eat it all the dog o chickens consume te rest & I love it.

Jodie269

Answer by Jodie269 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2010