Birth plan help.

I understand that a birth plan is based on your beliefs and how you want things to go but I was wondering what most other people are planning on or did and what works well. As a pregnant couple we havent had a chance to go together to lamaze class but I have attended with my sister for her labor. so I have some idea on some things but I just wanted a little help since everytime i go to my doctor she asks and I only have a few plans set. please help me out here ladies :-)

ambarnhardt

Asked by ambarnhardt at 12:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• if you're going natural or semi natural, consider insisting on a hep. block instead of a full blown IV. it will allow you to pee when you want, walk and move more.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Mine was easy... I wanted no drugs, low lights and a very quiet room. I figured it would be scary enough to be born without all of the commotion, noise and bright lights. I also wanted to have her right up on me after birth and to have her stay with me for at least an hour ....
    we were lucky and were able to follow our plan to the letter.... but remember to be flexible. Every birth is different.
    Good luck and congratulations.
    evasmom178

Answer by evasmom178 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Birth plan would include: Do you want medications during the birth? Do you want to nurse the baby immediately? Do you want to try to labor as long as possible or do most of it at home, what kind of positions, who are you bringing with you- who will advocate for you?

There are a lot of questions to be answered. I think in order to have a successful birth- you should be as educated on the topic as possible. Know what constitutes a NEED for c-section, learn how to say NO or ask WHY they are suggesting induction or other medical interventions, etc.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 12:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Well this is my second pregnancy and I didn't go to lamaze either, and im glad i didn't since I was induced but for this baby my birth plan consists of being able to walk/move around and change positions frequesnt;y until i decide to get teh epidural, if I chose to have one. I dont want to be cut unless necessary, when the baby is born I want her placed on my stomach as long as everything is going great and there are no complications. That is all I am doing. I dont care for music or dim lights because from what i remember once I get in the moment it doesn't matter, at least not for me. i am military and my hospital doesn't offer water births or anything so mine is pretty simple.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 12:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• a lot of it you really really have to be sure your provider is on board with too. for instance, I DO NOT want an IV so i will be going to a hospital in another city because it can be hard to find a provider to agree to that. of course you can always refuse anything, but they will make it hard on you. also i don't want continuous EFM, and that's another thing i had to really research to find out which place would take issue with that and which wouldn't. so some stuff important to me in my birthing:

no IV
    no continuous EFM
    availability of tub to labor in
    able to move around freely, or sit perfectly still if i want
    natural pushing (no purple pushing)

the most important thing is finding a provider/birth place that respects your wishes, and then putting those wishes on a birth plan :)

gl!
    Anonymous

• As well as how you want your birthing process to go, be sure to include what you want to happen should something unexpected come up. For example, in mine, I had a paragraph about how if there were serious complications, I wanted to be informed and make my own decision for treatment, not for the drs to decide for me. I also said that I wanted NO guests for the first 12 hours after birth. We had our breastfeeding and "to circ or not to circ" wishes there. Pretty much anything you feel strongly about, put it in there. Its better that your nurses know what you're all about than for them to guess.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2010