Potty training, HELP?

My almost three year old is really strugglling using the potty. She had interest at 18months, and actually used the potty several times a day. Went on vacation and hit a wall, regression, etc. We put it all away and brought it all back this past weekend with a potty party! She was so jazzed, trained her new doll to use the potty and she did very well the first day. Since then, she will dance and dance needing to use the potty, but won't sit down. Resorting to using a bride to get her to sit. Won't go, gets a reward for trying, put new dry undies on, and pees. She is using her undies as a diaper. Very frustrated. Need advice stat!

quinsgirl

Asked by quinsgirl at 12:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stop bribing.

Make a chart.
    Set a kitchen timer to go off every 20 minutes. Put her on the toilet. For every HOUR that passes and there are no accidents she gets a sticker on the chart. Every time she uses the bathroom- limit rewards to praise ONLY. Once you fill up a column representing hours dry she can pick a prize out of a bucket. Simple things like stamps, stickers, bubbles, etc.

This teaches her that using the potty is a long term project, not a once and done task.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 12:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I'd say no reward for trying... just give her something special she can hold ONLY when she's on the potty. For my daughter, this was my chapstick (granted, she was 19 months at the time). When she dances or squirms, tell her why she's dancing and take her to the potty -- no option -- but other than that, don't force her to sit there. Instead, take her if and when she starts having an accident. It may help to keep her in undies but no pants (crank up the heat) for a few days. Move her to the potty whenever she starts having an accident, and reward her only if some pee makes it in the pot. This works for a LOT of people, but you have to be consistent and not put her in diapers at all, unless it's bedtime.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Have you considered that there might be a bladder problem? you may want to talk to the doctor. Is she preferring to go standing up? At times the sitting down may cut off the ability to go-
    Anonymous

• My daughter is doing the SAME thing! I might try that first answer and your "Potty Party" idea, lol... my only problem is that I have a 4 yr old who gets aggrivated that no-one is praising her when she goes potty, lol. But I try to explain to her that she got praise when she was going through it.
    I have trie also to get different seats and potties and found that she likes to sit on the big potty with a smaller child ring on it. She feels more grown up. Maybe your daughter would like that addition (if you haven't already tried it)? : )
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I agree about taking away the reward, why does she need a reward for doing something she is supposed to do? Giving her praise is plenty. What about taking away the underwear, she can go without for a bit and see if that helps. Also, have you thought about punishing her when she does go in her pants instead of the potty? IMO, I don't think kids should have so many choices when it comes to potty, it's confusing and it makes them think it's a choice,and it's not.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I do like some the answers i recieved. However i have been trying to not put anything on her so she gets the feeling. I see her doing the "potyy dance" we all have done while waiting in line for a restroom. She is trying so hard to not go on the floor. BUT still refuses to sit on the darn potty! Although she has to go so bad, and asks for underwear so she can pee in them instead of the potty. i do not want to scar her and force her to sit, she cries horribly and doesn't want to sit, and is so desperate to releive herself at the same time. We have a potty and a ring and nothing seems to work.
    quinsgirl

Answer by quinsgirl at 2:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2010