Question about weaning from breastmilk.

I want to wean DS after a year of BFing (going back to work, would be easier sooner, but I also hear that's bad). I am told by numerous people to start cow's milk, but I was wondering if that is the only thing you can wean them onto? Do you have to give them cow's milk at every feeding, or is there an alternative? Any advice, please?

jean_marie1987

Asked by jean_marie1987 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Goat milk is easier to digest than cow's milk. You can also try rice, almond or soy milk. My ebf children took easily to goat's milk.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 12:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 12:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It's not simply replacing x number of feedings with x number of sippy cups of milk. If you give your baby cow's milk you're supposed to shoot for no more than 16-20 ounces a day... It's easiest to cut out about one feeding a week... and it's usually easiest most babies won't simply take a cup of milk instead... you may have to treat the milk thing separatly. Start introducing the sippy (you can express some breastmilk if you have a pump, or a bit of formula) if your child isn't already taking breastmilk in it... then after 12 months offer milk. My youngest daughter is 16 months and won't take a sip of milk. Alternatives include soy milk and rice milk, but need to be balanced with an attention in the diet to calcium and vitamin d and healthy fats intake. My daughter won't drink anything but water, but she'll eat a cheese stick or a yogurt with every meal, and she gets lots of leafy greens.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You can continue to breastfeed when you are home, and let your child drink water when you are not together.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• First off going back to work does not mean you have to wean. At 1 year old my daughter would only take breastmilk from me and during the day she had juice and water along with all other foods. She still nursed when I was at home though. Usually just 3 times a day, right before I left in the morning, right when I got home and right before bed. She is now 30 months old and nurses right before bed and that is it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2010