The school is reporting to DHS that I am neglecting my child because I didn't send her to school when she was sick.

I was served papers Friday. I didn't send her to school because she was running a high fever. I took her to the doctor. The doctor said to keep her home from school. I got a note to excuse her - which I provided to the school. That was 2 weeks ago and now that she's better and back to school, they are claiming she is truant! She's 7 yrs old and has epilepsy. Please advise?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd pull her out of that school so fast! I WILL NOT put up with schools pulling shit on me WHEN I PAY THEM. Screw that, the first time a school pulls calling CPS on me for some stupid reason is the last time my kid is in that school. Kiss that funding good-bye, assholes lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• if you have a doctors note and she doesnt miss school otherwise, you should be ok. I would get copies of her medical records for the school year just have as ammo in case you need it.

How long was she out of school with the fever? How many days are they saying she missed?
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 12:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Since you took her to the doctor and they gave you a note I'm sure if DHS contacts the doctor they'll see that you were following the doctors orders so nothing will come of it.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• This last time plus when she had H1N1 total 14 days. I had doctor notes for both.
    Anonymous

• Just show them the papers when they show up. They will dismiss the charges. The school is just following some stupid protocol. The CDC has said keep your kids home if sick. It's all over the tv and news. They are idiots. Don't get upset. Tell them to contact the doctor if they are not happy.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• How many days did she miss? I wouldn't think that they would call just because of one day.
    I'd keep records and get letters from the doctors to protect yourself.
    I'd see what the school policy is for number of days missed, they probably have a policy for such a thing.
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 12:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You need to get with the school and get a plan together (504 possibly?) that takes in to account her medical issues. By law, if a child misses X number of days- the school has to report them as a truant. We have kids with medical conditions that are documented and in their care plan they are exempt from the truancy laws. If there is a social worker at your school, go through them first- if not call the school nurse or health attendant and let them know about your situation so you can take care of the paperwork the school needs in order to get the ball rolling. Sadly, with all the new laws- gone are the days when a simple verbal understanding is all that is needed. The schools are in a bad spot as are you- you need to open the lines of communication and get moving. I know it seems like a private matter, but the schools need to be involved so everyone is operating correctly under the law.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Just keep documentation of everything. If they call, show it to them, and if there is truly no cause for concern they should make nothing of it. Then file a complaint with the school board.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• since you took all the measures you needed to - just use that to prove your case.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• According to my state statute I do NOT have to have a dr note and it also says that "kids who are temporarily not in proper physical or mental condition to attend school but can be expected to return to school upon termination or abatement of the illness or condition not to exceed 30 days in a school year." It also says "There is NO LIMIT in state law regarding how many days a student may be excused because of illness; a physicians statement is NOT required" And "It may be difficult to improve a child's attendance with a chronic health problem."
    Anonymous