Has anyone had pneumonia?

I have this incredible tightness in my chest and it hurts when I breathe. I am a stay at home mom and hubby has the car so I can't leave. I took some Mucinex in hopes of maybe getting rid of some of this chest congestion. Is there anything else I can do to relieve the pain or self medicate? Oh and I don't have insurance, so I really don't want to go to the doctor if I don't have to since I may just have a chest cold.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yes... had bronchitis for 4 weeks prior, and by the time I FORCED my ex (who said I wasn't really sick, since I was still taking care of the kids) to take me to the ER or I would press charges (he would not let me drive)- I had full blown pneumonia. could NOT take in breath, felt as though someone had poured hot lead into my lungs, and then had an elephant sit on my chest. I was almost delirious from being oxygen deprived.

if you think it might be, you're better off to get it checked out. and I do not advocate the use of doctors... County ER can NOT turn you away, even if you do not have insurance.

If you decide NOT to go, mucinex, hot steam, hot grapefruit juice (drink it like tea- it works VERY well), Fenugreek will open up the bronchial passages. mustard plaster (google it) will break up the mess as well. be careful- I almost lost my life to pneumonia. Longest hospital stay of my life.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Do you have a humidifier? If so hook it up.

Answer by louise2 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I've had pneumonia and it totally knocked me on my ass...sleeping about 20-22 hrs a day (seriously), only waking for bathroom breaks and medicine, no appetite, high fever, wracking coughs that were nonproductive. It's one of those "Holy smokes, something is seriously wrong here..." kind of illnesses. You KNOW that it's not right. It doesn't sound like you have pneumonia. You might just have a bad chest cold.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I do. Dh has to put in a new filter which we HAVE. In fact, we have had it for over a month. I guess I'll have to do it myself.

So will that really help?
    Anonymous

• Ok anon, thanks makes me feel better! So then it's most likely not pneumonia, but I have been sleeping a lot (going to bed early and waking up late) It's a good thing my daughter is a late sleeper. I have to get out of bed once she wakes up.

Even when I turn my head certain ways or stretch my neck, I swear it feels like something is blocking my airway.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for tips Obby. Were you coughing a lot? I'm not and I wish I were in order to break up the mucus.
    Anonymous

• Pneumonia is not the same in everyone FYI. My niece had it, but the only symptom she had was an everlasting cough - no fever and she continued to play her soccer games just fine and go to school.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• ask the husband to get you a vics vaporizer. I have asthma and I got phnumonia twice last year- I had to shut myself up with that things going 24/7, but I was able to breathe. You put this liquid vics medicine on it and it lets your breathe the vapors.
    I personally go to the acupuncturist to open up my lungs- that may work.
    Lemon water is supposed to help too- and to avoid dairy, particularly ice cream.

good luck!
    Anonymous

• I had walking pnuemonia for months on end and didn't know...I had a backache, nausea, headache, cough, fever, chills..off and on, so, I never really knew until it stopped being off and on. I went to the doc...got the 3 pill Z-pack and was fine. I realized it started when my son started basketball practice one year and i went to the doc when baseball paractice started...LOL Yeah, I know. Bad on my part.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2010