What age?

At what age is ok to take the bumper off of the crib??

Ebony83

Asked by Ebony83 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A year old I think.

Answer by louise2 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I've read that once they start standing in it you should take it out so they don't try to use it to help lift themselves over the rail. I never took the bumper out, my little one never tried to climb out.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i never took it out either, my daughter's almost 2.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I figure it's not doing a lot of good anyway since DS just pushes it down.
    Ebony83

Answer by Ebony83 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• We never had one. Everything I read said they weren't safe. In any case, they are not unsafe WITHOUT it at any age, so go ahead. And I, too, read that once they're standing/climbing they can use them to get out of their cribs.
    Anonymous

• We never used one.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You're not supposed to use them...they can suffocate your child. Take them out. Babies don't need a bumber. It can do more harm than good.
    Anonymous

• you never had a stuck leg or arm then did you anon.....or maybe you're one of the STATISTIC nazis out there telling us what's WRONG and making life miserable for those that did what OUR MOMS did.

I took the bumpers out when the kids started using them as stepstools to get out of crib
    Anonymous

• can't remember for #1 and #2....but #3 took it off herself. lol I don't need this anymore mommy.

the next week we took down the crib. she was about 17months.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I took it off at 6 mos, she was tangleing up in it and i figured it was a health hazard at that point! I put her in a toddler bed at 14 mos because she was tangleing up in the crib bars and her limbs were purple when I came in to get her! She never cried about it either!!
    Anonymous