Does anyone own a newfoundland?

I was watching DOGS 101 the other day and it had a Newfi on it. They are very large dogs but they said they were great for apartment living because they were coach potatos and just liked laying around and being with people. We live in a good sized apartment but our backyard is a 1 acre field. I was wondering if anyone owned them and if that was true. Also are they good with small dogs and kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Pets

• My aunt had several. They were large, good natured and placid dogs. The biggest 'con' as far as she could see was that they have a shorter life expectancy than many other breeds- most of my aunt's dogs passed away between 8 and 11 years. I'm not sure how good they would do in an apartment setting, my aunt was on a farm when she had hers, though I don't think they spent a whole lot of time running around.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• There is a lot of grooming involved with them as well. They shed twice a year. They drool like crazy too.

Male Newfs can get up to 145 pds as well.

Their life expectancy is short as Freela mentioned. They eat a lot as well. Full grown Newfs can eat up to 6 cups of food a day. And it has to be good quality food, puppy/dog chow or Ol' Roy are out of the question, it can cause major health issues in Newfs. They are also prone to hip dysplasia, heart issues, bloat (where the stomach twists around itself) and a host of other problems.

Your best bet is to find a reputable breeder and talk to them.

Good Luck.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2010