Any night shift "widows"

I want to know how other mothers learn to cope with their DH's working nights... I am new at the whole night shift work. We have a 19 month old DD and she is very attached to daddy. I work as well and we leave to house at 6am so I can drop her off at daycare and be at work by 7am. DH hours were normal 7-5 M-F, but he got a GREAT job making a lot more but his hours are 6pm to 6am. I get home with DD at about 4:30pm and he has to leave the house at 5pm. He is working 6 days a week so the only night/day he has off is saturday. I know it is impossible to ask him to change his "routine" on his day off I just want to know how I can make this transition easier on DD and my self.

wantherout08

Asked by wantherout08 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• my so just started working nights too, he has a hard time with the schedules sometimes bc i have a three yr old and we all like doing things together. it's hard!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• We've got a 2 year old and we switched our schedule to match my husband's.
    If you don't want to fully switch it, maybe you could go to bed a few hours later?
    Anonymous

• There's also a group on CM for women with husband's that work the night shift. That might help you?
    Anonymous

• My husband works from 7 pm- 7 am. Our son is 5 and what works for him is knowing that on certain days daddy will either take him to school or pick him up. He looks forward to it. Is there any way that you could meet your husband on the way to her daycare so that he could take her instead?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• your DH has the same schedule as mine! can't really give any advice on your kid missing him though, my son is only 3 months so he doesn't care yet. :(

but i would suggest joining the group anon was talking about, bet they'll have some good ideas!
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 8:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2010