Is bleeding after an internal exam a good sign?

I'm 41+ weeks and had my last appointment today, I'm scheduled for an induction on Thursday. This is my 3rd child I've never needed to be induced before. Today I was 2-3 cm and bled after my exam. It's the first time in all 3 pregnancies that I've been that far dilated before going into labor, (I was at 1-2 at my last appointments with the other 2) and the only time I've ever bled after an exam. So, is that usually a good sign that labor is going to start soon?

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• why do you have to be induced?

to me it just sounds like the doctor may have been too rough. now if it's mucusy, it could be that it's your mucus plug but that doesn't necessarily mean labor is imminent either.

gl!
    Anonymous

• did your doctor strip your membranes? i was 41 weeks and went in for my last appointment and when she checked me for dilation it hurt REALLY bad! turns out she stripped my membranes(she didnt tell me) and that usually gets labor started. and i bled a little after and had contractions and then gave birth the next morning.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 1:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I think I already lost/ been losing my mucus plug, either that or I've just had a LOT of discharge off and on the last few days. Is an induction absolutely necessary at this point, probably not. I was originally given Thursday as the last day we would do an induction, but today was told I could go to next week. But I've been getting through the past week emotionally by counting down to Thursday and telling myself I could make it that much longer. At this point I'm not ok with waiting any longer. And while I was hoping for a natural/ drug free birth, I don't think an induction should complicate things at this point, being so far overdue, with my 3rd child and being now at basically 3 cm and 80% effaced.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It's normal to have some bleeding after an exam because of the extra amount of blood and the cervix is sensitive to touch. Not necessarily a sign of labor or that the doctor stripped your membranes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I was wondering if he stripped my membranes and didn't tell me, I don't know how I would know, but I've never had an exam hurt before and that did. You would think he would tell me though.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Well yes you would think he'd tell you if he stripped the membranes. You can always ask if it's a big deal to you. That procedure is usually only done when you are past your due date in effort to start labor. He may have done just that, but I can't say for sure. You might not need induction if he did and it works.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i think it would be horrible for a doctor to strip membranes without asking first. not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's horrible.
    Anonymous