Potty Training

My toddler is 2 and a half and we are working with him on potty training. We have a baby due in May so I figured this would be the perfect time to do it. We started him off 3 days ago. We went to Walmart and let him pick out some underwear and he went straight from the diaper to them when we got home. He already was a little familiar with peeing in the toilet so he has already figured that out. I constantly remind him if he has to go. I would say probably every 15 minutes or less. My problem is trying to get him to poop in the toilet. He didn't poop all day yesterday so we were accident free. I knew today I would have to stay on him about it so I reminded him every 10 minutes. A few minutes ago I reminded him and made him sit down on his toilet to try, even though he refused. He never went so I left him watching cartoons while I made lunch. Not 5 minutes later I went to check on him and he pooped!!! What now???

jayda_leigh

Asked by jayda_leigh at 1:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're doing great. Keep doing EXACTLY what you are doing and he will follow your lead. It won't be perfect- you'll be cleaning up pee and poop from underwear, the floor, the rim of the toilet and god knows where else but it is totally worth it.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 1:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would try to back off a little... reminding him every 10 minutes is more like nagging than reminding. You may end up provoking some resistance... he can probably make it a good 1/2 hour without peeing at this age, even if he's new to potty training. For the poop; give him plenty of fiber (any chance he'll down a stage one prunes in a sitting? I only ask because my 2.5 year old would eat that as dessert for every meal if possible).. If not, raisins, fresh fruit, just keep it coming. If he usually would poop about 15 minutes after a meal or after waking up (many kids have that kind of rhythm), then take him to the potty then with a fun distraction -- a pen and notepad, a book he loves, silly putty, or whatever would get him to stay put. Something he can only have on the potty... sit there with him and see if he gives in. Once you've gotten him to go there once or twice, he should feel more comfortable.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Also, if that doesn't work, have you tried getting him to sit there and then leaving the room? Only if that won't freak him out. Some kids actually prefer their privacy for poop. A friend of mine's child was that way... they couldn't figure it out until they realized he just didn't want to poop with an audience poised for applause! And who can blame him!

Congrats on your success so far, by the way... the problem you're facing happens with most kids...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Thanks for your great answers!!!
    I leave him in there sometimes. What's funny is he doesn't want his Daddy in there with him at all. He grabs my hand and walks me to the bathroom with him most of the time.
    jayda_leigh

Answer by jayda_leigh at 1:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Sounds like you're doing great. My son will be three this May, and we just got him potty trained. We've been about two weeks without an accident. I reminded him every 15 minutes or so. I don't think this was too often. And for the first couple days, he wouldn't poot (as he says) in the potty either. Do you have any type of reward system? A sticker chart worked wonders with my son. That and LOTS of praise when he did go potty. And LOTS of patience when he didn't. I'd keep doing what you've been, and give it a few more weeks.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 1:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Yeah we give him rewards too. We give him a starburst every time he goes lol. Just not sure what to do if he does have an accident.
    jayda_leigh

Answer by jayda_leigh at 2:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2010