i am breastfeeding and found a hard peaseize knot in my breast is that reason to be concerned ?

my baby is six weeks old.

almut

Asked by almut at 1:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Health

• Yes and no. It is fairly common to get those small lumps, it can be anything from a blocked duct to the beginning of mastitis or just engorgement. However, if it doesn't go away with warm compresses, massage and a little extra nursing on that side I suggest you see your doctor because no breast lump should be ignored.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 1:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i've read something about that. its just a milk duct that is plugged and they say to put a hot wash cloth on it and massage it.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 1:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• like PP said, no lump should EVER be ignored. BUT it is very, very, very common, just massage it while in the shower, and prior to/while nursing. it SHOULD go away, also, if your have an improperly fitted bra, it will compress ducts (they extend almost into your armpits- kinda cool! I never knew that until I got fitted for a new bra) and can cause lumps to occur. Get yourself fitted (wait a couple more weeks for your supply to drop- that's normal, right about now you're still making enough to feel 2 babies, not just the one) for a new bra- PROPERLY fitted by a professional, and this should not be such a problem.

If after a week it has not gone away, or worsens, have it looked at. you could have mastitis (which is an infected duct), or just one thats a little clogged- try to massage it out.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I completely agree with the first response from IamPatSajak. I breast fed 5 children and actually have breastfed all five. Ive had this happen many times and its always worked itself out on its own. One thing I would think about is if you do have it looked at is maybe avoiding any radiation at this time. Good Luck...
    mxmomma05

Answer by mxmomma05 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2010