Jobs? What jobs?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100125/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama_jobs

Ok so here are a few things Obama wants to do for America. I see little help and no jobs here. Fact is most of these are geared towards specific people and may save a few money but not enough to increase spending or create jobs. These are more feel good suggestions that will, in the end just cost us money.
Raising the child care tax credit will net people with young kids in child care a bit more money at tax time but won't cause Americans to have more in their checks to spend. Federal funding for child care programs is a small drop in the bucket but unless you receive aid already probably won't do you any good. Capping Student loans at 10% of a persons income will please those paying off loans but what is a "basic living allowance"? I guess the government will decide that for us. All of this tacked on to the new budget.
Your thoughts?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We need to be CRYSTAL CLEAR that every single gov't-paid job is a DRAIN on the economy. ONLY privately-paid jobs are economic-recovery jobs.

The insane thing is that in this last year, we have shifted to having MORE people employed by the gov't than are employed by non-taxpayer money.

We get what that means, right? The gov't jobs are paid by taxes collected from private businesses and privately-employed people. So how are all those gov't paychecks going to be funded???!

Oh, another shining beacon of hope: While private jobs were lost, and most incomes went down, gov't jobs not only increased in number, but the salaries in some departments went up quite a bit, too. .... I guess it's all in who you are connected to - and right now the best game in town is gov't work !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Exactly waldorf exactly...and just how many of us said that is what would happen? Amazing to me how a few still would say Obama is for the small business owner...seems hes more for them alright knocking them out of existence if at all posssible
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• While I absolutely agree with both of you, I am actually shocked to see that there is something that he is going to do that may actually help us big time. DH and I have combined student loans of over $160,000. If we were able to make the real student loan payments, they would be almost twice what our mortgage is. Because we can't afford to make that payment, we defer or do interest only payments which do nothing for actually bringing down the principle and often times makes it go up. My big question is, if they are going to cap the payments, are they going to bring down the interest rates as well so the capped payments actually pay on the principle? I doubt it.

Anonymous

• I did a lot of surfing & reading over the weekend. I found an article somewhere (don't ask, cause I don't remember!) that pointed out that there is NOT ONE business executive in his cabinet, or on his list of czars. If he doesn't have anyone who can tell him how to get jobs back, why does he think he can do so much for us? Is it one of these, I'm so special, all I have to do is think about something and it gets done, moments of fantasy? Has he ever worked at a real job? Does he have a clue what needs to be done? He won't consult with the people who know how to do this, so I don't expect anything good until he is out of office.

The ideas that he has, and wants to implement, will help some people, I'm sure. But, they will not help enough people. They will also be more of a drain on what revenue is left. The best thing for anyone who would be eligible for any of them is either a job, or a better job.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• --cont'd--

The only one of the plans proposed in the article that could possibly be of help/interest to me is the one for caring for aging parents. My parents are both retired, and busier & more active than I am! That won't be a help for me for some years, yet, (Thank God, they are both very healthy!) A job would allow me to save for retirement, but I need a job first. Those plans sound good, but won't be very effective, in the long run.

IMO, par for the course for this admin. all fluff, no substance for the most part.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Has he ever worked at a real job?

NOPE
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2010