Moving at 8 mos pregnant??

We are going to be moving over an hr and a half away from my current doctor to have our baby. I am going to be 8 mos or maybe even more. The reason for the move is to be closer to family (we live here for college) since it will be easier for care and help after she is born (also I want our parents to be there waiting at the hospital sfter shes born). So my question and concerns are for the actual birth. I havent met with any care providers in that area. My sister and cousin have used a midwife there and I do not agree with all of her ways (in labor) though she has alot of experiance and is a great doctor. I know of a few other doctors at the hospital that deliver but im not sure what steps im suppose to take to get to know them and see what their views on things are and to share my birth plan. I am set with the hospital ( I was born there) but dont know what im suppose to do. thanks for reading and i hope for help! :-)

ambarnhardt

Asked by ambarnhardt at 1:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I moved from WA state to AK, away from all my family and friends when I was 36.5 weeks pregnant. Didn't have my medical records because the army moves too slow and nobody knew my baby was breech until I was 5cm dialated. Ended up emergency C with just my husband around, didn't know a single dr who delivered or checked my baby but she ended up perfectly healthy, I had a great recovery and wouldn't take a thing back. You know what you want, make sure it's done your way! At least you will have your family around! I don't know about checking out providers but it sounds like your family might be able to help with that! GL, congrats
    Anonymous

• Call around to local doctors, explain your situation, and try to get in as soon as possible. For legal purposes many doctors will not accept patients after a certain point in the pregnancy (usually 12, 16, or 20 weeks). However, as long as you can explain your situation and have your records transfered from your current doc, I think most will accept you as a patient. Seeing as how it is not too far of a move, you could even ask your current doc for recommendations. They may know and recommend doctors in the new area. Also, ask around for other recommendations of doctors in the area. Good luck on your move and the new baby!!!
    Lauren486

Answer by Lauren486 at 3:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2010