rephrasing my weaning from breastmilk question.

I currently express breastmilk for my DS. I want to wean him from BM by the time he is one year old. Besides milk of any kind is there anything else he is allowed to be weaned onto? If he gets his nutrition from other sources that he would be getting from milk, then what else can he have? Also, how often does he need to have milk? If he drinks water with his meal, then will that be enough?

jean_marie1987

Asked by jean_marie1987 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No one needs milk. Water is an excellent alternative. The actual protein, calcium and fat you get from milk can easily be replaced with egg whites, avocado and leafy green veggies.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 1:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My daughter drinks nothing at all but water. Our pediatrician was in fact concerned and wanted us to withhold water until she drank milk, but my gut said no. Make sure he gets sources of calcium and vitamin D -- soy milk and rice milk are obvious choices. A friend of mine did a combo of rice and coconut milk for her son who was allergic to dairy. Plenty of things are fortified with those, but you really need some leafy greens in there -- spinach and broccoli -- my kids eat these mixed in with omelettes or pasta almost every day. If you don't have a problem with dairy per se, then offer yogurt and cheese whenever possible.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Yeah, I almost forgot... 1/2 avocado a day! One of the best foods there is, especially for those who aren't in need of cutting out fats.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• after nursing "they" recommend whole milk because of the high fat content. my kids drink soymilk(the silk bone and brain health). there is less fat but lots more vitamins. i think cows milk is highly overrated. my kids get multivitamins and eat well so they get what they need!
    Anonymous

• if you must wean from bm at 12 mos, try to start introducing solids now. you don't need cow milk. i don't believe you need rice or almond or soy milk either. if you do choose an alternative milk, be careful not to get one w/ too much sugar. i went from breast milk to water for all of my kids. we get vitamins and minerals form fruits and veggies. sunshine is the best source for vit d, if that is a concern.
    good luck with your baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2010