If I wean to water or something other than cow's milk....

Then, how will I know if he is getting enough of what he needs? If I feed him jar baby food, is there a certain amount he should eat? (This is an addition to my last question...)

jean_marie1987

Asked by jean_marie1987 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't wean to water. He won't get anything but water that way. He needs more. Please talk with your pediatrician or call the health dept nutritionist and let them guide you.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You can follow the pediatric food pyramid or even speak with a pediatric dietitian (no, your physician is NOT a dietitian). Until you get the hang of preparing a balanced diet for your child you can do a multi-vitamin or fortified cereals.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 1:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• how old?

babies and children need the nutrients from formula, breast milk, cow milk or other 'dairylike' (for the nocow people).

water has no nutrients whatsoever....
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• babies/children need whole milk till age 2. breastmilk is whole milk. if u don't want to do cow's milk breastfeed or do toddler formula
    Anonymous

• also don't even consider weaning till child is at least 12mo. and then u need to find some kind of "milk" that contains enough fats for brain development
    Anonymous

• A baby still eating only jar food should not be weaned from milk. When they are older and have a varied diet, you can make up for what they miss from milk with food, but under 2 years, I wouldn't personally risk it... they eat like birds as toddlers and milk is an easy way to ensure they are getting enough fat and protein.

You don't need to pump much... 12-16oz/day would do it. You can also offer cheese and yogurt in place of milk and maybe only pump 8oz/day... if you don't want to/can't pump, though, I would offer a milk of some sort through the second year. Goats milk is a good choice if you want to avoid cows.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2010