And now the serious question...

If campaign promises don't count, and we shouldn't expect candidates to follow through on them or hold them accountable for breaking them (because "everyone else" does it), why do we even care what is said at the State of the Union Address? Isn't the SOTU just a revised set of campaign promises to carry through until the next election (in this case, congress 2010)?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The State of the Union address is supposed to give you hope for the future. Obama's presence gives you another chance to hear him whine about the previous administration of which the democrats held the house and the senate in the last 2 years of that administration.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My mom always taught me not to talk about politics or religion. LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• then why are you answering a question in the politics section?
    Anonymous

• I find it funny for a good part of last year, when we criticized Obama, people would direct us via ACTUAL links to the Obama Campaign website... Now? They say they don't believe what the candidate says. Oooooo-K...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I always change the channel when BO speaks. I know what he is saying is all half truths and lies anyway.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• OP, you make an excellent point.

If this is true than why do we even bother to hold elections? We should just let the person with the most money/contacts have the seats.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• We should just let the person with the most money/contacts have the seats

. Are you kidding- THAT's exactly what we do- Exactly why 3rd party candidates do not have a real shot at the Presidency!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Who said campaign promises don't matter? Of course they matter, but you need to be realistic when looking at what steps a President has taken to try to make those promises come to fruition. I'm not going to try to convince you of anything, but he has addressed several key issues that he said he would address, so I don't see how he is lying. For example; Health care, Afghanistan, Iraq, Guantanamo, Climate Change. While I hardly doubt he would call any of these major victories behind close doors, he has taken a look at our policy regarding those issues and reformulated it to what he and his advisors think is the best path for this country.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 2:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It seems that the State of the Union address is a holdover from pre-TV times, when this speech would have been our main report on how things are going from the President's perspective.

Since Obama has made comments, interviews and speeches nearly 500 times during this past year, his State of the Union address is indeed likely to be mostly a campaign speech. I don't know if I have the stomach to watch it - having reality wrenched into a more self-serving shape is repellent.

Re: campaign promises and all - how about, instead of our public officials swearing on a Bible, we start having them sign a contract to the effect that they will preserve and defend the Constitution. ... ? Because, obviously this "word of honor" thing is not getting taken seriously and when they break their oath, there's nothing we can do. But with a SIGNED oath, we'd have some leverage to hold them to their word ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• AngelDawn !! Me, too !!

We watch a lot of news, and whenever they're gonna show a clip of Obama, we frantically scramble for the MUTE button !

Sometimes it's okay to listen to his voice - when it's not political and he is being genuine. But so often he is hiding the truth so he's picking and choosing his words with that hesitation in his throat, or he is exhorting his audience, pressuring us to see it his way, and that style is repellent as well.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2010