What kind of formula tastes good??? I want to get formula for my one year old she will actually drink!

My daughter has been breast fed and is sill but I want to get a type of formula she will drink because her dotor doesnt want me breastfeeding due to iron issues. I want to give her formula because of all the vitamins and because I know it has iron in it which is what she needs. We have tried similac which tastes nasty and she wont drink it and enfamil however I have nt tried the grow and grow formula before wasting my money on formula she refuses to drink I would like to know what has worked for other children who are older. I may just have to give her cows milk but hopefully I can find a formula she likes. Ohh I have also tried pediasure, Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

HeidilovesNyla

Asked by HeidilovesNyla at 2:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most moms at a year old are switching to whole milk. I breastfed two children till they were 3 and they started on whole milk at a year old and they had no problems with it at all. Did your doctor suggest foods high in iron? vitamins or supplements? I was given a liquid supplement for my oldest that i just mixed into his milk or juice he is anemic like me.

I understand what your looking for but to me starting formula at a year old seems like a step backwards, i would concentrate on iron rich foods.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• we were told to quit formula at a year and dd fought to drink it since she was 8 mos old. I just put her on 2%, she eats eggs every morning and a variety of veggies with some fruit.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I understand wanting to give your child the best, but there comes a time when you are being overly protective and even stunting them by wanting to do it all. Giving your child formula would be a step back. Learn how to prepare healthy, nutritious foods so your child gets all of their daily needs met through solids and you will not have to worry about adding in a drink meant for infants to a toddler's daily routine.

Now that I said my peace, if you still feel this is what is necessary you want to look at pediasure or Enfamil Next Step Lipil.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• What about enriched soy milk or rice milk?

Even better, your child can have water and eat a balanced diet. I think that you may learn a lot from this article: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 2:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• If she's over a year she does not need formula - she needs whole milk and a balanced diet. If anything, give her a Pediasure per day, but formula is not necessary any more.
    Anonymous

• at 1 year old she needs whole milk, not formula
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• she doesnt need forumula,. either you contunie to breastfeed, use otehr tupe of milk or no milk at all. AND ALL FORMULA TASTE GROSS!! by the way shedoenst need to drink milk as long as you aregiving her others food that have calcium. my dd only has milk with her cereal but before she liked cereal she wnet a year with out milk, she loves cheese and yougurt
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Go over to the breastfeeding moms group. I think that doctor is totally wrong with the breastfeeding/iron issue.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Um well my daughter had a few iron issues at 1 year old and my doctor insisted that I keep nursing her and giving her foods high in iron and a liquid iron supplement. I personally would not stop nursing because that is not what is causing her iron to be low. I would look at feeding iron rich food and giving an iron supplement and possibly giving cow's milk too. My daughter is now 30 months old and still nursing once a day and her iron levels are great because we make sure to give her iron rich food (dropped the supplement though). All formulas taste gross and at this age she does not need it. Maybe look at the Ensure pediatric drinks if you really want too, but IMHO they are just overpriced and my kids can get the same thing from dairy and a healthy diet and multivitamin.
    Anonymous

• perhaps see if you can get a chat with a nutritionist. You can have the same benfits without formula if you feed a well balanced diet and if you still need extra, there are vitamins. THere are many foods that provide iron and suppliments as well. Just a thought.
    Anonymous