How do you break them of the bottle of milk at nap time?

Right now I am just standing my ground. Thank goodness for my mom because she is trying to get him to lay down right now.

jmetz4

Asked by jmetz4 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just stop offering it to them. Never give in.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• try switching to water. Give them a sippy cup of milk about an hour before their nap/bed time. They will get the hint that they need to drink milk when it is offered- and only water will be available when they are lying down.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Switch it to water.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Yeah I would try switching to water. My daughter has never had a bottle at nap time, but that's what I would try.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It depends on when naptime is. My son's nap is shortly after lunch (usually within 30 minutes) so I know he's full and would just switch it to water. If there's some time between lunch and nap you might try giving him a sippy cup of milk and a couple crackers instead of a bottle before he lays down. It may take a few days - good luck!

Answer by missanc at 2:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Thanks everyone. He still hasn't napped yet. I tried for about an hour and a half or 2 hours. It was after lunch. My mom thinks we should just let him have a bottle of water but I figured if I'm going through the tantrum of him not being allowed to have milk in it I might as well get the tantrum of him not being able to have a bottle at all. Thanks ladies!!
    jmetz4

Answer by jmetz4 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Take it away, why let it drag out longer by giving him water instead? He will get over it and be back to napping soon enough
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2010