why so many different baptist churches?

My daughter left her homework at home today. I told her I would drop it off. We left the school through a different exit than I normally use and I notice three churches on a four corner area. On one side of the road there was the first 8th street baptist church it took up the entire corner. On the other side there was a church (I think Methodist) and right next to it was the First Baptist Church. Driving down the road I started to look at different churches and notice several non denominational churches but a lot of baptist churches in a 3 mile area.

Why different buildings and in some cases directly across the street? It also seemed most the Baptist Churches have the word"First" in their name. Is there a reason for this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am Catholic if that matters. We past our church on the way home as well.
    Anonymous

• Many churches are largely segregated by race, so that's where part of the duplicity comes from.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Also the way Baptists approach scripture they don't all agree on what is taught so sometimes a pastor may leave one church and set up his own or part of a congregation will leave over a dispute and get a new pastor and start their own church.
    Anonymous

• i feel its the relationship not the religion we had shirts made with that exact saying,,
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 5:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010