declawing drama

I had my cat declawed on Jan 4 (3 weeks ago!) She has one paw pad that became infected, so last week I brought her in for a check up- she was given a refill on pain meds and antibiotics. Her paw pad has stopped oozing, but it is still looking very rough and she holds her paw up in pain. We limit her activity, use the recommended Yestereday's News litter, and give her the meds religiously. I am bringing her back in tomorrow.
My question is, do you think I am justified in refusing to pay for any further treatment offered to her? We have invested over $400 on this procedure and I feel that, since it it only one paw pad that there are so many issues with, the problem was in the operation rather than in our after care of her.

Please- don't lecture me about the evils of declawing. I weighed the pros and cons and came to a decision. Thank you for all of your help and suggestions!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Pets

• I have animals too. I'm sorry for kitty's pain. What do you mean 'refusing to pay for any further treatment offered to her? You mean you don't want to, I understand you're saying cost is the issue but I'm confused as to exactly what you're thinking of stopping, - you mean you don't want to see her through this illness with any more medicines because of the cost?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• No, I don't think you are right to refuse to pay for the cat's treatment. That is a risk you take in declawing a cat that the paws will get infected. They dig in their poop, lick this paws and then lick their butts.
    Anonymous

• lick their paws, sorry typo.
    Anonymous

• No, I think you are responsible for all after care costs. You owe it to the cat to follow up and the vet is not responsible for post surgical infection.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I think you should pay for the balance of the treatment for the cat for this illness, you know I'm sure that pets are family. If your child were ill you'd work out a treatment plan with the doctor. To teach responsibliity of lives to our kids with our animals we have to treat our animals the same way.

Tell your vet you need sample packages of meds to cut costs plus if that's not available tell him cost is still an issue what else can be done to help kitty at less cost. When Ive pressed that issue with my vets they give me more choices. Kitty is absolutely one of your kids, you really didn't think that a point would come where you could just have played with him and then out he goes cuz he's become ill?

Talk to your vet for more help on home care. I have a dog and cat with a newborn and separately two of my other kids were toddlers and preschool with a dog and cat.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You are going to have to pay for the treatment. Try to set up a payment plan or something with your vet. This is part of being a pet owner. Things like this happen, and have to be taken care of. Hope kitty feels better.
    Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• when we had our cats declawed and there paws got infected we took them back and the vet gave them a antobotic shot no charge to us. i would be raising hell with them
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I am Vet tech and I hate to tell you this but if your vet tells you that the paw isnt healed you will have to get another round of antibotics. The reason why she is holding her paw up is she just had a hard procedure done and it may take up to 6mths of healing. My cat limped for almost 3 months afterwards. Just limit activity and time is everything.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 12:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Let me get this straight - you CHOSE to amputate up to the first knuckle on your cats paws, they dig in dirty litter and you're surprised and offended that it didn't heal properly and you have to pay for follow up meds? Really?? Take care of your animals! Hopefully you'll think twice about declawing again! It's a terrible procedure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Unfortunately, I have to agree with most of the other posters on here. There is always a risk of secondary infection after any sort of surgery.
    DixieRoadrash

Answer by DixieRoadrash at 1:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2010