how can i help a 5year old thats afraid to go poop in the toilet

a friend of my mom's kid is afraid to poop in the potty and they have no clue what to do

angel232007

Asked by angel232007 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would suggest trying to find out why he/she is afraid of going poop. If they have not done so, they should take the child to the doctor. Sometimes underlying problems could be causing the fear.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 2:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would stop playcating the child and insist they use the toilet. Until then, they would clean all of their own messes without question.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Is it all toilets or just the automatic ones? If it's the automatic ones I would find someway to cover the sensor.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 3:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My son did this thankfully ImPatSajak was not my childs mother. My son had a really bad time with constipation and for a little while had a fear of going. He did get over it but it was because we were patient and not heartless towards him like some would be. I would wager ImPatSajaks kids don't cry and are emotionless kids raised by unfeeling parents are often that way.
    Anonymous