Would you say something?

My son is 3 years old and in preschool. He has Down syndrome and isn't potty trained yet. He goes to school 4 days a week for 2 hours each day. I change his diaper before he goes everyday (unless of course hes dry). But when I pick him up his diaper is usually soaked. He's been in school since Nov 9th and they have only changed his diaper once (and it was b/c he pooped). I end up changing him the second we walk in the door, we are only 6 minutes from the school. They have diapers, I supplied them when he started. He doesn't talk so he can't tell them that he's wet or needs changed and honestly he usually doesn't care that he's wet (which is why he's not trained yet).
Should I say something? Or let it go?

austinsmama1106

Asked by austinsmama1106 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes you should definitely - that is unacceptable. And I'd start making drop ins - unexpected visits without giving them a hint. Something wrong's there.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• please, say something to the teacher, the head of the school, or super if needed.. your child needs you.. He has rights to be comfortable, & rash free.. Yes say something, please...
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 3:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• They probably figure that since he's only there for 2 hours, how wet could he be? Do you usually change him more than every 2 hours? Can you find a better diaper that holds more? Maybe even put him in an overnight diaper when he has school.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Tell 'em! Today!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• yes isay somthing because he cant speak you are his voice and he needs you. talk to the school super if you have to because the teacher should be checking his diapers to see if he needs to be changed
    nativepride90

Answer by nativepride90 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• say something to the director and let her address it with the teachers so that they dont get definsive with you, but definatly say something
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I usually change him 4-6 times a day, he's only awake for 11-12 hours a day. Usually change him every 2-3 hours. I use Huggies diapers and have since birth, he wears a size 4 diaper (hes 28lbs). He has only had one diaper rash his whole life and that was when he had the flu. I plan on saying something tomorrow when I drop him off. His teachers love him and I don't think they will have a problem.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Good for you! It's easier to talk to them because you know they care about him. They'll understand. You go mom!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• legally when a child is in diapers (i worked in daycare in ohio--- idk if all the states have different laws- google search your state) we had to check or change them at least every 3 hours. if he is there for 4 hours they should be changing him... if they were in ohio and you reported it they would be a LOT of trouble for neglecting your child. i would just ask them nicely to change him. see if it happens. go from there. you shouldnt have to ask for that by the way.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2010