Question about Pediatrians

So, i've been doing my best to research how to find a good pediatrian and also have gotten a few recommendations on pediatrians. The problem is, I don't know what kind of questions to ask a pediatrian to know if he is right for me. Everyone says : ask him/her about things that are important to you.

The only thing i can think of that is important to me is: vaccines, and hours operation.

What kind of questions did everyone ask pediatrians when they where looking for the right one for them? I feel like there is more I should be asking, but I really have no idea what.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• We didn't know we were supposed to find a peds before our son was born, so we didn't find one til after. We ended up going through 3 in the first week. We do not vaccinate, because of that we had a lot of issues. The first doctor threatened me and tried to scare me in to vaccinating, what he didn't know is I have 10+ years of research on the subject behind my decision and I knew the laws. A second called me a Stupid Piece of White Trash because I refused to allow them to speak to my husband without me in the room. And the third was actually willing to speak with us and listen to my views. So, we went with her. The biggest thing for us was finding a doctor that we could speak to without feeling like we were doing something wrong. She was relatively new but has 6 kids of her own and was willing to not fight us on the vaccine issue as well as others like extended breast feeding, natural remedies over meds and others.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• If thats what is importanat to you thats what you need to ask about
    Also I think upon meeting the doc and seeing the office you will have a feel if it is somewhere you like or not
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It wasn't questions so much that I asked, but how he related to me.
    You can ask, how do you handle vaccine, your hours , sick calls, emergencies, prescriptions etc.
    but I think it all comes down to when you visit him or her, and how you relate to them, how they
    handle your child, how they handle YOU.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 3:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• We went with a Family Practitioner vs. a Pedi - This way the kids & I have the same doc so if we are all sick it's one visit. She knows the whole family that way as well. FP's tent to be less "uptight" then a Pedi about things, and this way the kid won't have to switch when they are in high school. We vax for all the major things, but not for the flu's... any of them - our FP was very willing to discuss my thoughts and feeling on this, and share her own. We have a great relationship.

So I guess it's important to find someone you feel comfortable with. If your personalities clash it won't work for any of you. What are your core beliefs about health care?? make some notes on that - from there you can formulate the right set of questions to ask a doc you are considering. Then go in or call & talk to the Doc - if it doesn't feel right move on - whether it's after the first visit or a year from now!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2010