Fruit leather

Is fruit leather a choking hazard?

Also, at what age can a child have fruit leather? The kind I have doesn't have any added sugar or anything like that, it's just made of fruit puree.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• if it needs to be chewed with teeth yes its a choking hazard.

I make my own too - its quite chewy.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I say at least 2, but I didn't want my dd to eat any til she was 3. BUT, there are some kinds that are just fruit and pretty much dissolve in your mouth. I'd say don't try it under 2, and if the child is 2-4, watch them very very closely with it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would say atleast 2 but fruit leathers are horrible for the teeth, even the homemade ones. It's not the sugar but the fact that it is sooo sticky that even after brushing it is still stuck on the teeth. My dentist HATES anything like fruit leather, fruit snacks, etc. My son has rarely had them, ever and he is 13 yrs old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• gummies and fruit snacks are horrible for teeth. My kids don't get them for that reason. I would say at least 3-4.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2010