Did anyone else's 1 year old do this?

At 4 this morning my 1 year old son woke up screaming and crying. When I picked him up he pushed as hard as he could to get away from me, so I handed him to his dad. He didn't want him either. So I layed him in our bed for a lil bit til he calmed down. He was content laying in our bed. (note: he has never slept with us, always in his crib) At the time we had our lamp on and he was totally fine. We got him back to sleep and turned the light off and he woke up screaming again. We haven't ever had a night light on but it seemed like he wanted a light on. Has your lil one ever done this? Should I get a light for him, or just wait to see how he does for the next few nights?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd wait. I hear that night lights for children causes nearsightedness. Talk to his pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• i would see about how the next few nights go, but maybe he will want a night light in his room. good luck.
    Anonymous

• Night lights do not cause nearsightedness, genetics do.

http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Ed_Do_Night_Lights/

He must be going through some night terrors or is suddenly afraid of the dark.  I bet when you first went in, he was still sleeping and that is why he pushed you away.  Look into night terrors.  I hope it gets better soon.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My son never had that situation, but there wee times that he was totally inconsolable, and get this, yelling for the dog what the ONLY thing that would stop the crying. I tried yelling other things after her name worked thinking it was the yelling....nope. And that was a hit or miss thing, since our dog is deaf....there were a few times I had to yell for DH to wak eher up to come in so he could see her.......it was wierd
    GageWsMom

Answer by GageWsMom at 3:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/sleep/a/night_terrors.htm

I just read this and it sounds like your little one is suffering from night terrors.  Poor guy!

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My DD did something similar to this, and it was honestly her teething. It would seem like something I did helped, but really she had calmed herself. It took me a few weeks to figure this out, though. LOL.
    Anonymous

• My son started doing this around 9 months. Same exact thing. I told my pedi about it and he said it was night terrors. It's an early age for night terrors to occur but that's what it is at least for my son. My pedi said the best thing to do is to wake them out of it as soon as possible and stay with them until they relax. With night terrors the usual smoothing methods don't work because they are trying to escape whatever they were dreaming about. Good luck! My son has been going through this for 3 months now and is finally turning a corner. Instead of a few a night, he is now only having then once and a while.
    kelza

Answer by kelza at 3:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• yesmy dd is 3 andshe does this a few night a week since she was 9 mts. is called night terrors. some months the hapeen everyday others monnths they dont happen at all
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• This is happened to my daughter about 2 or 3 times. To me it just sounds like a really bad dream. Possibly with you (mommy) and daddy was in it. The light must have comforted him. I think by tonight he will have no problem sleeping through the night but I would try comforting him a little more around the time that he goes to sleep. Remind him that you are mommy and will always love him. Thats what I do with my 16 month old and it has helped.
    baby_bump_2008

Answer by baby_bump_2008 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• my daughter had the same thing when she was around a year old. I would pick her up and turn on her room light. I would make sure she was completly awake, then we would sing and dance to some easy music till she was out. it only happened a couple times, but it scared the heck out of me. i thought there was something seriously wrong with her.
    hippiemom04

Answer by hippiemom04 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2010