Do you think breastfeeding has become a status symbol for those with more money these days?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• THIS IS A STUDY THAT WAS PUBLISHED IN A MEDICAL JOURNAL

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1497787/

And I have read this elsewhere too. It' just a statistic. It also takes an education to understand that this does not mean that if you're not as educated, you will not breastfeed or that all educated women will breastfeed. It just shows a correlation, and it's a strong correlation suggesting there is a more direct link than just plotting numbers.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• That's an interesting question. It's true that the more educated and affluent women tend to nurse more and for longer periods, but I don't think it's a status symbol, I think it's just a product of knowing the difference between breastmilk and formula, which comes with age and education.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• No. I think people have realized that formula isn't a luxury, it's an inferior substitute. Being the best parent possible is not a fad.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 3:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• no. it shouldnt anyway bc it doesnt cost a thing. except for a medela breast pump maybe.
    Anonymous

• I guess i do not understand your question. Are you saying the woman who have money Breast feed?
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 4:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• no, i bought a $300 to be able to pump for my ds and we are middle class, i have friends who breastfeed and are poor or middle class. and friends who fornula feed and have better income than my family
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I don't feel that way. I think women breast feed not for the ego trip but cuz they feel it's the best then for their child like moms who formula feed feel that's best for their child.

I exlusively breastf. two babies and formula and breastfed my youngest, she was not doing good with weight breast fed only.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't call it a status symbol. Those who are more educated are statistically more likely to breastfeed, and those who are more educated tend to make more money. It makes sense that women most likely to breastfeed tend to have higher incomes.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Okay, so i formula fed both my daughters but i never paid for it. Maybe a few times but with my second DD i did BF for a little bit and pumped. I am planing on EBF with my son and we are middle class.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 4:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• No. Not at all. If I had used formula, I would not have been able to afford to feed my children. Breast milk is FREE. it is not a luxury or a status symbol.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2010