If you go to Heathcare provider/ER or urgent care can they call whoever without your permission ?

Went to urgent care with a letter that my eye doctor wanted me tested right away for diabetes and this physican assistant the minute she walked in was on a power trip.She did not look at the letter said she would determine what i needed and also who was my normal doctor which i said was not available for several weeks and this could not wait.She calls my regular doctor not eye doctor and comes back saying she could see you why you avoiding her i was like first never consented for you to call,not relevant to this visit and second i did not say i could not see her just was longer than eye doctor wanted for results.She than draws blood and made me wait for hours,made me stay to only fling open door as she came in and saying see you could of went to your normal doctor as quick as result come back these days.next time go to normal doctor i asked for copy,she said no,would sent to my doctor,which one i will see.What should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Health

• You are allowed copies of just about everything in your medical files but it usually takes several days to a couple of weeks to get done. And you wanted it on the spot.

The urgent care doc was probably confused, and very busy behind the scenes with patients you weren't aware were there, about the diabetes test.

She probably thought you should have been sent to a lab directly instead of an urgent care, for blood tests etc. for your problem.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Id call the doc that they sent it to. thats really all you could do. If I was in your shoes I would have slapped the lady!!
    Anonymous

• It's your medical file and you have the right to have a copy. I can see why she'd call your regular doctor though. Just call your doctor's office and ask for the results of the test.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• OP HERE: Why call my normal provider when it was on behalf of my eye doctor request.It had nothing to do with my family doctor.To me she was not paying attention so i will even question her results when i find out.If she would not look at the letter my eye doctor wrotecand made me tell why i was there for her to determine the best route, to me was not right on her end.She never even called my eye doctor to ask questions either or ask me permission to release any information from the visit i had there.which i was told by the receptionisy if i was getting blood work did i want the results and give them to doctor or have them sent somewhere because if so i needed to sign a seperate release for anything that was to go on outside hospital from calls and so on.so she violated there own policy.
    Anonymous

• This was likely an insurance issue. For most people, eye coverage is SEPARATE from the rest of your health care, and since you were not presenting as a dying/critically injured patient, they likely had to make that call. There will also be information in your PCP's file about you that the eye doctor isn't likely to have. An eye doc generally doesn't send someone for bloodwork.

And sending to urgent care is even more unusual, in my experience. At least where I am, labs are yet another facility.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2010