Breastfeeding?

I just had my little guy on the 22 of this month and we are breastfeeding so i had some questions. It is VERY sore, not the gorging of the boobs but the actual nipple, they are not cracking or bleeding cause i use nipple cream but they are so tender and bruised feeling and when he latches on it is really painful and i even get cramps through my legs stomach and back is there any cure for any of these and if not when does the tenderness of nipples go away?

Casteel_chick

Asked by Casteel_chick at 4:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Great book: Nursing Your Baby by Karen Pryor. Tips on latching, position switching, nipple soreness, etc.

Do you have a lactation consultant in your OB or pediatric practice? Your little one might not be latching on with the nipple far enough back in his mouth. Sometimes you can even get a doula or midwife to come out to your home to help you with positioning.

Most women seem to experience a "rough patch" where soreness is a problem. It's brief. You just plow right through it. Hang in there!

La Leche League has latching tips on their site. There is also a BF moms group here you can join and get great daily tips.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• oh hon, part of it is just the process... part of it could be his latch. make sure he gets as much of your boob in his mouth as he can! the stomach crams are a GOOD thing, and can last for a couple of weeks, when you nurse your uterus contracts and shrinks (thats why nursing immediately after birth prevents hemorrhage!)

after a couple of weeks it will be totally different, hang in there! stay hydrated, and get as much rest as you can! BTW, "The Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding" is a goof 1st time guide for troubleshooting a LOT of the issues that could arise, and commonly do.

Luck to you! I am always so happy when I see/hear new mommies nursing! it is such an amazing experience!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I agree talk to the la leche leauge

I had a hard time like this too, and it did pass, but man it hurt for a lil bit
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• look at all my typos! wow! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i love la leche league!
    out of 4 kids, i had one with a poor latch that left me bruised. one thing my midwife said to watch for was...does the pain subside as the sucking starts, does it stay the same or get worse?
    be sure your lo has her mouth very wide open, and be sure she takes in more than just the nipple.
    good luck and congrats on your baby!!!!
    did i mention la leche league is great?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My daughter had a good latch and for me the end of the second week is when my nipples stopped hurting. They continued to hurt when water hit them (in the shower) for a few more weeks, though. I also love La Leche League! If nothing else, it gets me out of the house a couple times a month to talk to other adults besides my husband. Good luck!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Keep nursing, mama. Your nipples always get horribly sore when you first start breastfeeding but it gets better. I think my nipples hurt for 2 or 3 weeks, even though we had a good latch. The cramps you are getting are contractions that are shrinking your uterus back down to its normal size. You produce oxytocin (love hormone) when you breastfeed, which is the same hormone that starts labor and causes contractions. They are uncomfortable, but a good thing.

Hang in there! Right now is the hard part, soon it will be so much easier!

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 7:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2010