How can I get my 19 year old to stop drinking and driving

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Does he/she live at home? I'd hide the car keys
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• TAXI card/vouchers!!!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Call the police when you catch them.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You may have to do some tough love. Show him pictures and videos or if you can arrange it talk to a family who has lost someone in a drinking and driving accident. Or better yet talk to a drunk driver doing time for hurting a family because he decided to get behind the wheel while drunk.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• more info needed, does he live at home? If so he should not be allowed to if he is drinking underage.
    Show clips of crashes,,,,I had a friend, her sis, and her dad were killed by a drunk driver when we were in 7th grade....
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I don't think clips of crashes will sink in with a teen. They have that it won't happen to me thinking. I would tell him"if you choose to drive drunk I will be forced to report you" In fact he's too youn g to be drinking at all and should get help or not have a licence.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Not to be mean, but which would you rather have, an angry 19 yo without a license or a dead one, or one in jail for vehicular manslaughter because he killed someone. Report him...
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Tough love... call the cops and report where his party places are.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My cousin used to drink and drive. On May 31, 1998 he got so drunk he blacked out, drove home and killed a girl while going through a red light. He spent a year in prison, afterwards he did a lot of pubic speaking about drinking and driving and made a documentary about the whole thing called "Ted's Story: Honouring Melissa". Maybe your child needs to see something like that, something from the perspective of the person who used to drink and drive and thought nothing of it, until the worst happened. And you need to get tough, call the cops, that may be the only thing that can stop him/her. Do you want to live with knowing you maybe coud have stopped your child from killing someone else's child or themself? Do whatever it takes, s/he may not like you for a while, but at least s/he'll be around to not like you.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i think he would have to get cought and go throught the real punishment before he cares. dealing with not having a license, dui classes, probation, and even jail. Its a big wake up call but for some people thats what it takes because they think they arent going to be the ones to hurt anyone or be hurt or get caught.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2010