i don't knw wat to do:(( every time my MIL calls me she has to upset me,,she talks like she is the boss and as if i have no opinion or decision,thats killed me ,,so i called my husband and i told him that i hate talking to her!!!she trys to make me fear from her,and like obey her??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Your husband should talk to her but more than that, next time she starts to pull her negative crap, cut her right off. Tell her you've got to go or simply say something like "Well, Marge, I actually disagree and here's why!" Make the point that you're done with her condescending stuff and every time she tries to act that way, cut her off again and again. Eventually she'll shut up.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• my do the some times and i dont care i just answer her back and say what i think
    Anonymous

• I know how you feel.I love my fiance but his family is a real pain in my ass! They treat the kids different and I have tried allot of different ways to give opritunities to do things that might work better for them, and NOTHING! So I guess what I'm saying is don't let it hurt you to much it's her problem not yours~ I have to remind myself as well.'
    Anonymous

• So what does your HUSBAND say:? Is he backing you up? If not, there's marriage counseling in your future.

She cannot make you feel or do anything without your permission. Let her words flow from one ear out the other without stopping in your brain.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Don't take her calls. I can't stand my drunken loser of a mother in law so when she calls I don't answer it. If my DH is there he can get it or she can leave a message. Caller I.D is a wonderful thing.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 5:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• my MIL thinks she's a know it all. im a dog groomer and have been in the business for 7 years. well i have some medical too behind the dogs but she thinks she knows and it p*sses me off. and my SIL's are also like that so i just quit talking to them and told my hubby i hate them i want nothing to do with their selfishness. just dont talk to her.
    Anonymous

• I use to have this problem with my MIL. I finally told her, in a nice way of course, that I didn't appriciate being disrespected. That I wasn't going anywhere, and if she loved her son, she wouldn't make things harder on him, by treating me that way. I told her I wasn't going to listen to what she had to say, until she said something worth listening to. Her complaining about how we were living our lives, wasn't her business, and she could stay out of it. Once I put my foot down, things got much better. We now get along great, and I enjoy talking to her, and spending time with her. Just stand your ground, and tell her how things are going to be. End of story. Eventually, she will come around.
    Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• She cannot upset you unless you allow her to do so. If you are going to talk to her at all, just let her have her say and ignore the parts you don't like. We have to do that with all kinds of other people every day of our lives, so why not do it with your mothe-in-law, too? You are giving her way too much power over you by allowing her to control your emotions. Only you really have the power to control your emotions unless you choose to give that power to another person. If you can't do that, then just stop answering the phone when she calls.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Do not talk to her.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• well my mother in law always talks about how hubby and his sons mom should have worked things out(she cheated on him)and she only says it when hubs aint around.also she says hubs son should come 1st becouse he was the 1st born.Dont know what the hell that means!
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2010