Anyone use natural remedies?

My daughter and husband are both having stomach problems . Daughters is severe and unknown and husband has had heartburn for awhile but it has suddenly gotten much worse. Tried all the over the counter stuff and a prescription acid reducer. Has anyone found a cure or even some relief with natural remedies. I heard there was a certain kind of Apple you could eat for relief but can't remember the kind.
Thanks!

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Health

• I don't know about remedies, but there are a few ways to help prevent stomach problems: You SIL should not drink alcohol or caffienated or carbonated drinks. He should drink plenty of water, but should not drink anything with meals. Avoid greasy or spicy foods. Both of them should be looking at their diets carefully of their having stomach problems. There is lots of info out there about healthy diets. The best natural "remedy" is to use a prevention and not need a remedy. Don't know if that helps, but GL to them!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Apples cause cramps and even constipation in small children. They were talking about that on tv the other day. Are you cooking something that disagrees with them? My children couldn't eat anything with garlic but I loved it. I had to stop using it when I cooked for them. Has dh cut out spicy foods? Since dd's is unknown and dh's just got worse I'd concentrate on what they are eating. I'd also give them peppermint to suck on to see if that eased things up a bit. I'd also contact a doctor for them both and ask for natural remedies.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• try chiro for acid reflux and also there is a natural biotic you can try its called biodophlous i think i spelled it right.. you might want to speak to a chiropractor before taken the meds but i work for one and we have pts that have stomach issues and this medicine seems to help.. but the adjustment will help get things back in line and ease some of the other issues
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 5:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i think the peppermint thing is a myth because that is one of the specific things they told her not to eat when she had er scope done,
    It all just seems strange that she just got stomach pains one day and has had trouble since(2 months) and my dh just got worse overnight and he has not been able to get relief in all week in the ways he ususally did.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Not to scare you, but my grandfather had heartburn that got worse over the span of 3 days. Finally he went to the hospital, and found out he was on the verge of a heart attack. If he doesn't get better soon, please take him in. Other than that, I have heard people take vinegar for acid reflux. Maybe the heartburn is being caused by that?
    Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Papaya enzyme - be sure to get one without pineapple

Answer by rkoloms at 8:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i thought heart attack after your repost too.if heart attack is ruled out, there are plenty of things to do for heartburn rather than medication. is he overweight? does he eat too much in one sitting? does he eat too much sugar? does he lay back in an easy chair after dinner? can you pinpoint any foods that could trigger heartburn?
    i am not sure what an er scope is...it could have irritated her throat, perhaps that is why peppermint was prohibited?
    w/ your daughter, have you considered cutting dairy? cutting gluten? how old is she now? people with ibs can get great relief bu cutting these things!
    good luck to you, it sounds like a rough time right now! keep your health up!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2010