Do you think 4 weeks postpartum is too early to go on a family vacation?

My family (Grandmother, Mother, and Siblings) are planning a family trip 3 hours away about 4 weeks after I give birth to my 5th child. My worry is that I will be too tired to deal with packing and dealing with everyone (my husband will help with some of that). My other children are older (15, 10, 7, & 6) and will be helpful, but they are still kids.
I've tried mentioning this to my sister and she seems to have forgotten how exhausted you are the first few weeks and how often a newborn nurses. Am I remembering it wrong?
Not to mention my mother and grandmother drive me insane on a good day. I'm afraid I'll be too hormonal and emotional, I would hate to kill someone. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're remembering it right. Everyone has a different experience, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i would let dh take all the other kids and i would stay home and enjoy the new baby
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I went on a camping trip 5 hours away at 3 weeks post partum and I was fine. BUT..if you don't think you'll be ready for family vacation at that time, then don't do it. No one knows what you can handle better than you.
    Anonymous

• I went for my oldest daughters surgery 2 weeks after having my 2nd daughter. We drove 12 1/2 hours away from home, and we were gone for 1 week. It really isn't difficult, I think it is much easier traveling when they are that little! The only problem I had was we were in the HOSPITAL for that time... Not fun to be around SICK people with a newborn!! But I took many precautions and she never got sick! On the ride there we took many "pit stops" for feedings and diaper/changing clothes!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I took my 3rd on a trip with extended family to the beach (4 hours away) when she was 3 weeks old. Was it crazy? Yes, but it's a trip my family has taken every year for 20 plus years to the same place during the same week. I actually found it easier, because everyone takes turns cooking (I have a sister and 3 brothers, all with families), except I had the year off with the new baby so I didn't have to worry about meals, and everywhere I turned I had someone willing to hold the baby or take my older 2 off my hands for a little while.

Answer by missanc at 8:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Let them go, and stay home with the baby. Enjoy your peace and quiet.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2010