Any ideas about how to keep my son in his chair at school?

He is 7 years old and in first grade. We are working on getting him evaluated for ADD/ADHD/etc.. but are hoping to avoid medicating him. His biggest issue in school is that he cannot/will not stay in his seat. He falls out of it, tips it over, bounces in it, slams his feet into it - you name it...We're meeting with his teacher this week and would love to come in with some ideas about how to help with this issue...anyone dealt with this?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oooh tough one. We had the same problem and yes my son is ADD. It's a rough stage and he'll have to just keep trying. I know it's not what you want to hear, but we really just had to bite the bullet and let time go by. Eventually he stopped getting up but it was replaced with the giggles and being disruptive. Another hurdle that took awhile to clear.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Duct tape...sorry I couldn't help it! I am sorry I don't have any valuable advise, if nothing I hope I made you laugh! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• positive reinforcement.. tell him he will get a reward at the end of the day if he can listen to his teacher and stay in his chair...
    focus on the positives, not the negatives.
    Anonymous

• i did this when i was a kid! my teachers never complained about it though. i would check sites for dietary recommendations. i have heard that artificial flavorings, colors and other preservatives can have an effect on children w/ add/ adhd.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Hemp oil or fish oil
    Magnesium with vitamin D
    Remove all artificial colors, flavors, preservatives and sweeteners from your home.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Someone somewhere recommended this thing that's kind of like half of a fitness ball, but meant to be used as a seat cushion. Supposedly it's good for wiggly kids, because they get the feeling of movement by being able to bounce on it a bit, but still stay in their seat. They had them on amazon, but I can't remember exactly what they are called, and couldn't find them (I had it in my cart, under the buy later section for the longest time, but cleaned a bit of that area out last week, and that was one of the items I removed.) Maybe you can look around and see if you can find it somewhere. It was like $30 or so on Amazon.
    Anonymous