Daughter and Son to share a room, is this ok?

We have just relocated to a smaller town. We are not sure how long we are going to be here so are not looking to buy right now. Renting here is scarce, it took 3 weeks to find a home and when we found 1 (and I mean 1) we jumped on it. Problem is it has only two bedrooms so my 6yr old daughter and 2yr old son will have to share a room. I have come up with some creative ways on how to keep them seperated especially for my daughter. This is no permanent and they get along wonderfully. I have recently been told that this is illegal?!?! I have never heard of it, but I am worried, and it has made me start thinking about things...is this the wrong thing to do? If anyone knows the laws to this in Colorado, please let me know or if you have any advice or are in a similar situation I would love to hear from you.

Sgryphon

Asked by Sgryphon at 5:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it's 2 people per room as far as law goes...
    I think with thier ages- though getting them to sleep might be a pain- otherwise it should be OK
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• not sure if it is illegal myself, but I have heard that if you are renting that the landlord is not aloud to let you move in if you have to opposite sex children I heard that they had to have their own room if you are renting not sure if that is true or not. But anyway I believe that they could share a room until about the age of 3 or 4 then put them in their own rooms, but that is just me. My DH and his sister however shared a room until they were 16 years old and to me that is waaaaaayyyyy to old, but they did. I believe 3
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I think you all are splitting hairs. I live in California in a suburban neighborhood, and I rent my house. I have never heard of gender specifics when renting anywhere. I have a very close friend who has 4 kids, and when they were all little- 2 girls/2 boys, they lived in a 2bdrm 2ba house in a suburban decent neighborhood, and all 4 of those kids had one room. They made it work by using 2 bunkbeds on one side, 2 on the other. Nothing wrong with that! Don't worry so much until your kids are a little older- 9 or 10 at least!
    Anonymous

• It is not illegal.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I doubt the landlord will care and there are no state laws that forbid it. My 8yo son and 7yo daughter share a room. They shared when they were babies (until they were 2 and 3) and then started sharing again along with their older sister in 2007 when they were almost 5, almost 6 and 7 (the oldest just changed rooms a couple months ago at 9--she now shares with her almost 4yo sister). The bedroom the 3 kids had is very big. We had the 2 girls on one side and my son had a little alcove to himself (plenty of room for his bed, dresser and shelves). The middle was for everyone and I could have fit my youngest up there, too, if I had to. Now, with just the 2 of them, the room is almost empty, lol. The other 2 girls share a 9x12 room and still have space thanks to creative use of furnishings.
    My kids are all very close so they don't think anything of sharing a room with each other no matter what gender they are.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I know that for fostering or adopting children they have to have their own rooms. Maybe if there were custody issues there might be something, but as long as there are no issues and you aren't under investigation by CPS you should be fine. As you said, It's not permanent. I can't imagine it being a big deal. I am debating putting my 4 month old in a room with my 2 year old Daughter in a couple months. I just worry that he might disturb her she sleeps SO well by herself, not so much when she has to sleep with someone else, But they wouldn't be in the same bed so I'm not really sure yet.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 6:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I think it is okay until they hit puberty or middle school, whichever came first.
    Gecko85

Answer by Gecko85 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I don't think it's a big deal at all. they're siblings and being in the same room should be OK. Not sure of what the law is in Colorado, but if that is a law it's dumb. Having a room for each child is not always possible. And kids should be able to have their own bed of course but having their own room is not a necessity.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I think its fine until the age of 12, then its time for them to have their own room.
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2010