Sleepovers? Your house or the friends house or not at all?

Do you allow your child to have sleepover, attend sleepovers or no way?

Why or why not?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 6:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ooh, that's a tough one. I remember having this dilemma when my daughters were younger. It's scary to think they'll be under someone elses roof all night and having to completely trust those adults with them to supervise properly, etc. Definitely let your children do sleepovers, but rule of thumb is when they can comfortably and confidently call you if they don't feel right at all. Eventually 12 is usually the magical age where friends become more important and they will want to go to a sleepover party. It's a part of growing up and I would let them if they have reached this age.
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 6:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My daughter (6) has been to one sleepover-- my best friend's daughter's sleepover. Obviously, I trust my best friend. That is the issue I have with her going to other sleepovers--trust.

I would have a sleepover here and not have a problem with it. There are very few places I would let her stay the night. Two I can think of. I am very picky about where I would let her stay the night.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 6:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My daughter is 6 and wants to go to a sleepover. I'm not letting her go though. I don't know the parents at all. I will be more willing to let her go to sleepovers when she is older. Right now, the only place I would let her sleepover at is Grandma's or a cousin's. I wouldn't have a sleepover at my house unless it was a relative because it's not fair to say her friends can stay the night here, but she can't go there.
    Anonymous

• I have had them here. There is not many peoples house I would let my son sleep over at though.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I can't wait until my kids have sleepovers. Yes, I know they can be very stresfful if there is more then one friend sleeping over. With some friends it could be stressful with just one over. However, I'm really looking forward to them. I know it will benefit my kids throughout their school years if they're allowed sleepovers like this. It will help build their friendships in a personal environment. I think that's important.

I do require that I meet the parents of the friends and hope the parents of the friends require to meet me. I will not authorize sleepovers at a friend's house or my house unless I've had a chance to sit down with the parents. Not only to get to know them, but to also get to know their rules and expectations of their child. That way I'm following their guidelines and requests.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My oldest daughter was 11 almost 12 when I allowed her to go to asleep over. I was really scared for her because she was molested when she was younger(8), by a family member. It took a while , but finally I let her go. I met her friend's mom and she invited us over to talk so it could ease our minds. We chit chatted for about an hour then we finally left so she could enjoy herself. As for my other daughters nope they're still to young, but when they get to be 12 then it'll be fine with me.
    Anonymous