Cell Phones, Yay or Nay?

What age is your child? Would you allow him/her to have a cell phone? Why or why not? If no when will you?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 6:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son got his cell phone when he was 13
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Well.. My oldest is 5. I am not sure what other parents do and don't do but No! Not at this time.

I cannot guarantee that when she is 13 or so and going around town with friends that I won't get her a phone. But I doubt it will be "hers" it will be a phone that the kids can use when they are out and about so they can call us if they need us.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 6:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• 8 & 6, and not right now. When they are old enough, they might get one. Old enough is yet to be determined. It really depends on our lives as they get older. Right now, if I had to put a time frame on it, I'd say probably when they start driving.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My kids are 9, 6, and 3. We do have an "extra" phone since we only use cells no landlines. My 9 year old is a type one diabetic who at times needs to call me at a moments notice depending on blood sugar. So, she takes it with her when she is out riding her bike in the neighborhood or walks next door to the library. She will also take it if she goes to the park with a friend and parent because I don't want her to rely on others to call me if need be. She is responsible for her diabetes 100% if my or her dad aren't around and we want to cultivate that, show her she can do whatever as long as her sugar is controlled.

We don't call it her phone but she sure does. lol
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 6:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I did not get a cell phone until I was 19 and I lived. We had a land line. My husband and I will be getting a land line phone when our daughter is old enough to use a phone (I KNOW ancient technology, right? haha). I am a substitute teacher and I can understand with high school kids who drive, but when I hear a phone vibrating in a second grade classroom that is just too much.
    Gecko85

Answer by Gecko85 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I went to a 3rd graders birthday party last weekend at a sledding park. 90% of the kids sat inside the chalet texting EACH OTHER! It was absolutely ridiculous! Oh and they all had iPhones, for 8 & 9 year olds. I can see for certain kids where phones would be beneficial. But very few 3rd graders fall into that category. My oldest, 11 yo, is very responsible and will probably be getting a very basic, call mom, cell when he starts secondary school next year. My 2nd child will be 30 before we get him a phone. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• 13 yes-prepaid-boost with unlimited texting so there are no surprise bills
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2010